BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Benfer 1 Piece CAI, and today going back to school from lunch it fell off. My DSC and "Check Engine Soon" lights came on, and i lost power in my car. So i pulled over and turned off my car and started it back up agian. The engine light stayed on but i was almost late to school, so i decided to drive back to school with the light on. I drove about half a mile back to school with the light on. When I got back to school, i opened up my engine and the intake part connected to the MAF became attached.

basically, i reconnected the intake after school, and the check engine light turned off after starting up the car about twice......
the car runs alright now.

so basically, im asking, how much damage could my engine have suffered? should i be OK? should i check anything?

thanks

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,855 Posts
it should be fine. If your really do get worried just do an oil change. But seriously no biggie.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Only bad thing is you're in socal, which probably means there's a lot of dust/ash in the air down there lately depending on where you're located... And you were driving without a filter. However, it wasn't very long... shouldn't be a problem.

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
sorry to hear man... i havent heard of this before with the BFP products. hope mine doesnt fall off!

·
it's pronounce "Q's beemer"
1,181 Posts
did you install it yourself?

Maybe it just wansn't tightend enough...

Q

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i installed it myself, and i already saw the connecting tube kind of slipping off, but i left it because my intake and MAF tube dont line up perfectly. bad idea.
you'll be able to see it when its slipping off.
anyways it came loose because i accidentily turned too much, and instead of getting off the driveway thing perfectly, the right side of my car went off the sidewalk. that shook my car pretty bad and im sure thats the reason the intake slipped off

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
most likely it's not enough dust to harm ur car from a short drive. if you're really worried just flush ur throttle body...

·
can ya spare some change?
807 Posts
m3man said:
it probably didn't do anything. Don't bother changing your oil. Intake air has nothing to do with oil.
It has no direct effect on your oil, but it is indirectly affected. Your air intake pulls in air that gets fed to your engine. Without an air filter, you sucked in a lot of micro particles, dust, dirt, and god forbid sand.... The engine oil does 2 jobs, it lubricates and cleans the engine.

However, changing the oil won't do much since any damage that was done is already done and the particles sucked into the oil should have already been caught by the oil filter by now.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks a lot for ur advice guys, i think i'll be ok now
shouldnt need to flush anything out since i didnt drive that far w/o the intake on

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,600 Posts
This was totally an install error and not a product issue. That junction point between the CAI and the engine really needs to be secure to avoid any air leakage or a disconnection as what happened in your situation.
No real big deal though, but I would look into changing that oil real soon just get some clean oil in there.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts
simsima325 said:
sorry to hear man... i havent heard of this before with the BFP products. hope mine doesnt fall off!
What you trying to say Brendan... I didn't use all my muscle to install the BFP CF CAI for you :sad:

See if im going to help you with your DIFF. :lmao: :lmao:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts