BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was looking to get some input from everyone about insurance companies. I am currently with Chubb Auto and have been since 2003. They have always been pretty good and I really like the "respect" I get from the shop or from the dealer when I am using them.

To clarify, in 2005 I had an accident (with my MB not the BMW..don't worry) on a Saturday night. It was my first accident and I didn't really know the process. I called my agent and he told me he'd take care of everything on Monday to get it started. My car was towed to the dealer on Sunday morning and I went over Monday morning to get a rental. When the SA asked for the insurance information about this claim I told him I didn't have it yet because they had not started the process. He asked who I was with and I informed him it was Chubb. He told me to take the car and call him back with the info later because he wasn't worried about Chubb screwing him. This was great to hear at a time when I was worrying about having trouble with my insurance company, as you hear from a lot of people. I also had similar experiences to this with the shop that preformed the body work and other times I needed to present proof of insurance.

Anyway, predictably my rates went up from $1,200 a year to $1,600 because of the incident. I didn't have a problem with this and it was less then I expected. However 2 years later (1 year ago) my rates jumped for a reason my agent couldn't explain, and never received an answer from Chubb. They increased my rates to around $2,300 a year. My theory is that because I "garage" my car at my parents house, and my little brother recently was banned from their policy by State Farm because of his driving problems, my insurance went up due to a high risk at the address. At the time I looked around and decided to stay with them because I wasn't seeing much better rates elsewhere. This year my rates dropped to about $1,950, probably because I turned 30 late last year. Also, my brother was "reinstated" with State Farm a few months ago (he got another ticket last week so we'll see what happens now :banghead:)

I have always liked Chubb's parts policy because they only use new OEM parts and do not pro-rate the covered amount because of wear and tear. For those of you who don't know, some insurance companies will only cover the percentage of the cost of a part if it is a wear and tear item. So if your suspension needs replacement after an accident they will say "Well, you had 50,000 miles on the car, the suspension should have lasted till 80,000. We will cover 37.5% of the replacement part." So you not only get hit with your deductible but additional expenses to make your car whole.

Now that I've got less money floating around these days I was looking to see who had a different company they are happy with. I would really like to keep the same parts policy, but I know that it is rare (I think there is one or two others that do it). My father called me yesterday to tell me he talked with his agent and I can possibly put the car on their policy. I am not sure about the quality of State Farm though.

What companies does everyone recommend and what are your likes and dislikes about that company?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't read your novel. Cliff notes please.
Eh, I guess more information isn't always best. So as requested:

I am with Chubb, I like their part replacement program (new OEM, no pro-ration). They have increased my rates by 50% over the last two years with for no apparent reason.

I am looking for input on other companies people use, preferably with the same parts program (I know it is rare, so not a necessity). My lowest cost option will most likely be to be added on to my family's State Farm policy. So I am looking for input on them specifically but I am not tied to that.

Thank you for responding and not ignoring my post!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Chubb is known for their quality service and excellence in claims handling. You pay for what you get.

That being said, if you're looking to save some money, and still have a good insurance company, try out Travelers. That's who I'm with, and I'm a Chubb employee. :shhh:

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you or your parent's have any military service, check out USAA. There really aren't any better insurance companies out there--but as I said, it's a military lineage thing...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I assume we are talking about car insurance...I use Gieco..my total bill fully covered (comp and collision too) is like 700 a year....and Im 23....why are you paying so much for insurance...its not a 100k car...seriously, you are getting raped on the price.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, everyone that works here is a Chubby. :shhh:
me think it is funny too.....I would do this everytime they sent me a bill: :read: :lmao:

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 to USAA. Have my home, cars, and life policies through them. Not the cheapest, but their service is fantastic.

Actually, USAA is the cheapest..atleast for me but I think I may be in another category since my father was an army officer and they give us really low rates...my wife and I are both with them, '05 325ci and '07 Mazda CX7 for about $1100/year total...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
AAA is sort of an insurance franchise. The official name is something like "Interinsurance exchange of the Automobile club". This has nothing to do with the roadside assitance service provided by AAA.
It depends a lot on which insurance company you actually get a pollicy with. Normally you don't know their name and can't chose when you sign up with the AAA agent. I had bad experience with them in the past - I've signed up for one year full coverage at the AAA office, paid in full, thought it's all done. The next day another insurance agent called me at work, insisted on going again through my record, said otherwise my rate will go "way too high". I got pissed, asked them not to bother me at work, asked don't they think the contract we signed a day before is binding, finally told them I don't want to deal with them at all and requested a refund. They still tried to screw me by keeping 10% of the premium. Luckily the insurance was never in effect and after threatening to report this to the California Insurance Commissioner I got a full refund.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you or your parent's have any military service, check out USAA. There really aren't any better insurance companies out there--but as I said, it's a military lineage thing...
The only one in my family with Military service would be my Grandfather, I assume that is not immediate enough for USAA.

Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chubb is known for their quality service and excellence in claims handling. You pay for what you get.

That being said, if you're looking to save some money, and still have a good insurance company, try out Travelers. That's who I'm with, and I'm a Chubb employee. :shhh:
I have no issues with their service or claims handling (although their roadside does take forever). I just wonder if the premium I'm paying for their service is worth it right now.

I'll look into Travelers, thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assume we are talking about car insurance...I use Gieco..my total bill fully covered (comp and collision too) is like 700 a year....and Im 23....why are you paying so much for insurance...its not a 100k car...seriously, you are getting raped on the price.
Well there is more too it then just looking at price. When you are in an accident (your fault or not) the last thing you want is to be arguing with the insurance company. For instance, per accident I get something like 3k just for a rental car. I don't need approval from them for the type or where I get it from. So I can just go pick one up ASAP and get back to my life.

Also, I have pretty high coverage through them (500k on Liability and underinsured/uninsured). With some of the cars in my area, that kind of coverage is needed. Hit one damn Ferrari/Lambo and you're effed without it.

Finally, they have a declared value for your car every policy term. So if you total it, you already know what they are going to give you. There is no back and forth over how much it's worth. Their values are usually a bit higher then Blue Book, but you can raise it by paying a little more (1k for $100/yr I think).

The point is, while I know I can get insurance at 500-1000 most likely, I'm willing to pay a little more then that for piece of mind that I'm not going to get worked over by someone who's "On my side" when something goes wrong.

I used to be around $1,300 a year, that was fine. At $2,300 and $1,900 I'm out.

Hope I explained myself well enough, insurance is a pretty esoteric thing.

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
USAA is definitely one of the best out there if You qualify, but it looks like You don't

I had GEICO for a while, never had any issues, worked for them for a while. The only items I'd really take betterment ("pro-rating") on were tires, rusted exhaust pipes, and things that showed obvious wear-and-tear, and I was usually light about it (only in extreme cases did I really hit somebody with it, like the lady with bald tires that claimed that a pothole caused the tires to blow). GEICO is big on aftermarket parts, but saving money on expenses is how customers save money on premiums. It's a trade-off really. Pay more now or later, it's up to You.

Traveler's is an excellent insurance company, as is State Farm.

But srsly man, You just turned 30 and You're thinking about getting added to Your parent's insurance policy? Time to cut the strings maybe?:eeps:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But srsly man, You just turned 30 and You're thinking about getting added to Your parent's insurance policy? Time to cut the strings maybe?:eeps:
I used to be that way, never taking a hand out from the parents. I've been paying for my own stuff since I was in college.

However, recently with the downturn and money getting tight, I look over and see my slightly younger brothers who still have their cars/insurance paid for (among other things). So I decided to look at my options and see if I liked State Farm or someone else and see if maybe I was just being hard headed by "cutting the strings."

However, they won't be picking up the tab for my car's addition. It's still on me, I would just be saving some money by combining policies. And it's all legit since the car is left at their place most of the time, damn city people and their horrible parking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts