E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have given my insurance company the ability to subjugate for the loss of my car with the at fault insurance company

my insurance company is willing to offer me $30,200
I owe $29, 200 on my car.

this is their second offer

some facts:
nada book value does not take premiumpackage, rearfolding seats and the bmw extended warranty into account. which adds up to over $3000, I also had over $800 in mods
thus the insurance company dosent either

My insurance company in Casualty and Life (small company)
the idiot who hit me has State Farm Insurance

should I accept the offer or just deal directly with State Farm

the idiot was driving 50 on a 35 in 6 inches of snow with his dodge ram and hit me head on.

thanks fanatics.

2000 328 with 51Kmiles totalled

328skidpad has attached this image:

Attachments

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
See my reply in off-topic

·
Registered
159 Posts
Doing some quick research, here is what you get:
(These may not represent your exact car. I configured each one with StepTronic and picked the most obvioius options.)

www.nadaguides.com
Trade=$26,050.00
Retail=$29,500.00

www.kbb.com
Trade=$21,300.00
Retail=$24,510.00

www.edmunds.com
Trade=$23,641.00
Retail=$25,951.00
CPO=$30,234.00

Looking at www.autotrader.com, there are many 328i's listed. They seem to be listed from the mid 25's to the mid 29's. The upper end cars have pretty low mileage as well.

A couple of things to consider. Most of the time, modifications are not considered on the automobile, unless you have notified your insurance company directly. This will likely result in a higher premium. If no one was injured, and I am glad they are not, then I certainly would not attempt to bring that into the debate. It sounds to me like your Insurance Company is offering you a fair price.

You essentially have a four year old car with over 50,000 miles and they are going to cut you a check for $30,200. You must have paid in the neighborhood of $41,000.00 for the car, meaning you only lost about $11,000.00. Personally, I would be pretty happy about that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree... get a lawyer.

You may first want to decide what you feel is a realistic price from the vehicle. Tell them the number you came up with and why you feel it's fair. Tell them you don't want to get into a long drawn out fight with them over a couple thousand dollars but that you think it's their responsibility to meet your needs. If they tell you no then tell them to feel free to call should they change their minds, but that you'll be contacting your lawyer and having him get in touch with them.

It'll probably take a letter or two from your lawyer, but I'll be all to none that they'll give you what you feel is fair. This will give you your desired money in quick time. If you want to fight for more, then call the lawyer and tell him that you want pain and suffering (which you are entitled to). This will take some time longer to get (could be up to a year - took over a year for me) but will fetch more money.

Good luck. PM me if you need anything.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i think you are getting a fair price but make sure your medical/loss of work etc is covered too...might need a good lawyer for that! good luck

·
Registered
949 Posts
Take the money. It's more than you would get if you tried to sell the car outright.

That being said you could easily buy a '99 328 CPO with half the miles for $30k.

Hiring a lawyer will just cvost you more money in the end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you don't have one, ask an attorney to write a letter to State Farm. That will really get their attention. The claims agent will knock down your door faster than you can say SETTLED.

Don't get an attorney at this point that works on contingency. This process will take months or years because they will try to squeeze every last bit out of the insurance company (maybe good though). However, that leaves you without a car

Anyway, for an attorney to write a letter, shouldn't cost all that much. In the letter you should not say that you have retained an attorney for litigation, just ask him to write something to get their attention. If you do retain the attorney for litigation, your state's civil procedure practices might not allow the insurance company to talk to you without your attorney present.

Anyhow, getting the insurance company's attention means that they will do anything in their powers to not have an attorney involved. This means more money for you because there is no cut for the attorney. Squeeze the insurance company a little bit and you will probably get what you want. If there is injuries involved, it is best to retain an attorney because things will get complicated.

This is the likely scenario to get the most money you can from the insurance company. If they know you mean business, they will try to avoid litigation.

My 2 Cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts