BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to preface this thread with the standard "I've done the research" disclaimer and that I'm familiar with the process of making a used cluster match the mileage and VIN of one's own car.

Two great tutorials can be found here:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2163451-DIY-How-to-reprogram-a-used-cluster-to-match-your-car-s-mileage-VIN-and-coding
and here:
http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/17653-diy-bmw-e46-cluster-replacement-coding/

What I'm looking for is this - does anyone provide a service where I can take / send my cluster out to have a new M35080 chip soldered to my (new to me) used cluster and have the VIN programmed to that chip? My reason for asking is, I'm not entirely comfortable with taking apart my cluster, de-soldering the old chip and replacing it with a freshly coded one. I have my old cluster still, which is totally dead, that I could practice soldering on. However, with time being a constraint and my lack of experience, I'm apprehensive.

If anyone can point me to a guy / company that can do this, that would be great. If any Fanatics are experienced in this field, I'd be more than happy to give you my business. My PM's are open and I'll be checking back on this thread often. Thanks in advance for any help / advice here!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S - the OP from the bimmerforums thread, blackknight530i, appears to have provided help for some folks who feel the same way as I do about taking apart the cluster and doing all the messy work. I'm going to send him a PM, even though his last response there was almost a year ago now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - the gentleman over on Bimmerforums, Paul, has a business called Fixels where he provides this service.

For anyone searching for his VIN / Mileage correction service, he has a Facebook storefront that I'll link here:
https://www.facebook.com/Fixels/

Consider my issue resolved! And FYI to any readers, he also repairs broken clusters, dead pixels, and creates custom E39 M5 gauge clusters. Neat stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
BaliDawg, thanks for the plug. I do not do any reprogramming of clusters. I only repair the original clusters that way no programming necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW: scottjoh on this forum does some cluster repair. You'd need to contact him for details though. His website is https://www.bmwgm5.com/
BaliDawg, thanks for the plug. I do not do any reprogramming of clusters. I only repair the original clusters that way no programming necessary.

Thanks for the info, y'all. Scott, your website was my first resource after my old cluster failed, so thanks for the details on troubleshooting the KBUS and cluster repair. I was just about ready to send my old cluster to you for repair when I found a used ZHP cluster for a good price on eBay, so I pulled the trigger on that since I figured there was no better time to make the upgrade.

If Paul doesn't need / want my old cluster, I'd be happy to donate it to you! The only thing physically wrong with it is one of the directions for setting the clock is broken, but I'm sure that's well within the scope of your repair operations. Those little plastic tabs sure can be fragile...

·
Registered
2001 325ci
669 Posts
If Paul doesn't need / want my old cluster, I'd be happy to donate it to you! The only thing physically wrong with it is one of the directions for setting the clock is broken, but I'm sure that's well within the scope of your repair operations. Those little plastic tabs sure can be fragile...
my time setting is also broken in one direction for a while, and I just didn't worry too much about it. so since march (dst begins), I'm one hour late, and be on time come November.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no repair for time set twist functionality. What I do is require the cluster so the push (12/24hr and C/F) becomes time advance.

Ah, I see. Seems more effective than trying to repair the twist functionality because it's all integrated into the front plate that the motherboard rests inside.

Also, update on everything - my new to me ZHP cluster just sh!t the bed on me today. Exact same issue as with my original cluster, needles stuck and SRS light displaying (ABS light displays during cranking) however this time the cluster backlighting isn't functional. I'm really hoping I didn't just kill this ZHP cluster because I got it at a nice price... my luck this happened the day before I was about to send it to Paul for coding!

This is starting to become a major headache. I'll be starting a new thread to detail my issues and hopefully come up with some place to start a diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
The backlight probably doesn’t work because the design of the cluster changed between the 2001-2002 model years where the light control module controls gauge backlight separate from the digital display backlight. Your car and original cluster must be the earlier type with light control module direct control of the backlight. Now you have a the donor ZHP cluster from a 2002 or later car that is a completely different design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts