BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 323i and after doing some exploring and investigation, i have found that my instrument cluster has been messed with. there is to what appears to be holes drilled into the circuit panel. there is one hole that goes through the DSC sensor/light, and one through the airbag light, and another drilled hole on the other side. And on top of that, the little black needles are broken, so its really impossible to adjust the clock. So my question is do i have to buy a completely new untouched Instrument Cluster OR can i buy a used Instrument Cluster from a junkyard or something to replace it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you buy a used instrument cluster once you install it the tamper dot will come on.... i suggest that if you are going to buy a used cluster you might as well get a M3 cluster panel because the tamper light will be on regardless..and with a little programming you can get all the gizmos to work on the M3 cluster such as the lights on the rev meter... if you decide to go buy a completely new one im not sure how much they are but that is also a option if you do not want to see the tamper light. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
what kind of little programming are you talking about? i would really love to know a bit more about this programming to get the M3 cluster working..

sorry for hijacking the thread a little.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the damage? You could pick up a used cluster off ebay and swap parts over into your current cluster. You won't have any tamper lights then but you will if you swap a different cluster in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any pictures of the damage? You could pick up a used cluster off ebay and swap parts over into your current cluster. You won't have any tamper lights then but you will if you swap a different cluster in.
This reprogramming that i hear, is it possible? Could i just walk into a dealership and have them do their magic or does that only work with a brand new cluster? and i'll try to upload a pic, i dont know how yet. lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
This reprogramming that i hear, is it possible? Could i just walk into a dealership and have them do their magic or does that only work with a brand new cluster? and i'll try to upload a pic, i dont know how yet. lol
Yes programming is possible but I've heard some dealerships will do it and others won't. They usually try to get you to buy a new cluster. That's what I've heard.

That doesn't look good. :eek: It's tough to call by looking at that picture but it's still possible to fix it if you're good with soldering circuit boards and someone provides close up pictures so you know where everything goes. If you can do it, and get a used cluster from ebay for spare parts (if you wait, you can usually get a damaged one around $50) you'll save some money.

Does anyone know what it costs to get a different cluster programmed to your car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might need to swap your cluster. :/
Yeah the damage thats on the the circuit panel, will be hard to fix. i'd rather swap out the cluster with an used one and have the dealership try to program it. other wise a brand new one will cost me about $800. but i guess theres only one way to find out and that is to ask the dealership directly.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Buy a used cluster with the same part number and swap the chip that contains odometer and vin. I believe the chip is the M3508.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts