E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Instrument cluster problems

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 ·
2003 m3 convertible is having a instrument cluster problem. Car sat for about 3 months turned it on and cluster was completely dead besides airbag,convertible light, and abs. Car starts no problem and drives fine. With all fuses in place radio powers on and off repeatedly and so does middle overhead light above review mirror in sync. With fuse 34 unplugged turn signals make sound but no illumination on cluster,radio functions, and abs light on cluster no longer shows up. Have tried pulling the cluster out along with battery and letting car sit for a week. Pulling fuse 43 and letting car sit or a few days. Not sure if cluster needs rebuilding or maybe has a bad ground. Nothing so far has worked any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
If it was working when it was parked, I'd be looking for a bad connection somewhere, not a failed part. Something as simple as un-plugging and re-plugging all connectors that have anything to do with the instruments could well do it. I've seen such problems many times on my BMWs, and other cars.

#4 ·
When you unplugged and removed the cluster, did the other issues go away?

Was the car sitting outside? Maybe water got inside and is wreaking havoc on electronics?

#5 ·
I can see again when I get back home but if I remember when I removed the cluster the radio wouldn’t function correctly. It would power on but not work correctly. There was no rain but there was a few nights it got about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Do you recommend a cluster rebuild? Which electronics would be damaged? Thank you

#6 ·
I agree with Ray, most likely a bad/corroded connection. Recheck all the ones you disconnected make sure they are seated and properly locked in position. After that try a reset by disconnecting both battery cables from the battery posts. short them together and hold for about 10 seconds. Then reinstall on battery, and see what happens.

#7 ·
I wouldn’t replace or rebuild anything until you’ve isolated the root cause of the problem.
Do some searching on here for similar cases.
Ignition switch has been known to cause wacky electrical issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.