Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys ok this is the problem ok. This weekend I just got:

(2) 10inch Alpine Type R 4ohms
300w RMS, 1000w Peak
(1) 4 channel RockFord Fosgate 550x Amp
275w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms

Well I need to install this. One of my friends said it is bad to spice the amp into the rear channel because it would cut the back speakers into 4, 2 to the subs and 2 for the rear speakers. So he said I might need a mini amp to power my rear speakers and run the 2 channels from my speakers to the subs.

I really don't know what you guys did but could you explain how to install my subs without messing anything up. He said if I were to spice I would might lose haft my sound to the rear speakers or blow my stock amp.

I don't have the HK upgrade just the OEM setup. So what did you guys do? Also what else do I need to get like wires and sort? Also is that enough power for my subs? So please lend me a hand here cuz i'm really confused right now

·
Registered
452 Posts
A rule of thumb for powering subs is to provide the sub with equal or greater power than its rms value. In your case........300 watts or more to each sub. Since your amp can produce 275 watts rms at 4 ohms with 2 channels bridged together then that is good enough I would say considering you already have the amp. Bridge your channels and provide 275 watts to each sub. This would mean that your amp is only used for your subs. Keep the stock amp for the stock speakers.

You can just splice the "speaker level" signals for your new amp from the rear deck speakers since all you need is low frequencies for your subs. If you need higher frequencies than 100 Hz then you would need to splice your signals for your new amp from the wires before they go into your stock amp so they don't get filtered by the stock amp's crossover settings.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Splice into the factory harness along the driver's side fender in the trunk, grabbing the L/R woofer HEADUNIT signals, not the speaker-level signals, as those have already been crossed-over (high frequencies removed) by the factory amp. If you grab the headunit signals, you will have greater control of the low frequencies with the low-pass filter adjustment of your new amp.

Details here:

http://home.swbell.net/ttenn/subfaq.htm

http://home.swbell.net/ttenn/stealth.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts