BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so disclaimer first. I have no experience whatsoever with car audio. I can however follow basic instructions (although my wife might disagree).

I just purchased an Infinity basslink for install into my 330ci. The car does not have the HK system. It is all stock, including the headunit (a 2001 model).

I have done several searches but everything I find is for install into the HK system. This is a USA model car so there is a factory amp in the trunk. I have a few basic questions for anyone willing to help:

1. What do I need to buy to complete this install. I had looked for an install kit but I can't find one anywhere. I am assuming I can buy everything I need at radio shack or another electronic retailer. Could someone please provide me with a list??

2. How do I do it? What is the easiest method? I had planned on mounting the sub in front of the ski-pass facing backwards. So I am looking for the easiest and cleanest install method. Can I just tap into the inputs going into the mid-basses mounted into the rear deck for my signal? And then add the power? Does that still require a remote on/off switch?

Little bit daunted.

Help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpity bump.....Come on peeps. Someone must be willing to help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am actually going about the same route in my 01 325 non-hk system. Although I haven't done any searches here on this forum, I've done this setup in other cars so I would think it'll be similar. Here's what I'm planning to do.

1. Get a Line Out Converter or HiLo Converter, T-taps, and RCA cables - You can get this at Fry's, maybe Radioshack, etc. Call around
2. Splice the signal wires into the rear speakers with T-taps. I believe you can also splice into the signal wires from the stock amp as well.
3. Plug the RCA cables into aftermarket amp and set up the amp as usual (Power, ground, remote)
4. Play audio and adjust Line Out Converter

I'll be probably be starting this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Don't half-asss it and do t-taps, do it right and solder. That way you have a firm solid connection and no issues down the road. But yeah, an LOC and RCAs as well as a remote line will do the trick. The factory amp is audio sensing I believe so it doesn't have a remote line asfaik. I just like running my stuff from the headunit, that way you it's easy I'd you ever change the headunit or go to dynavin or anything

·
Registered
205 Posts
i just did a line convertor and used solder to connect to the rear outputs before the amp. There's also a power hook up there and the battery is in the rear

was probably the easiest install i've ever done

·
Registered
205 Posts
ps... i used this, and it makes it VERY easy... just use a line driver and install the 5 wires off the stock amp, and then use a cheap power kit to get to the amp... Nice thing is, since the battery is SO close, you can use a smaller kit (aka, if you have a 600 watt amp, normally you'd want bigger more expensive wire, but since you only have to run a couple feet of wire, the 300 watt kit will work) Or you can try to buy the wire and connectors (and fuse holder) separate to save some change, depends on how familiar you are with what to buy or if you have a good local install shop that's willing to help...

here's the PDF, it's for the BSW sub, but works well to identify the wires

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product-extras/d110.e46c_Subwoofer_System_Install_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I asked my buddy Mike (plaroud) and he sent me some info. Posting here for future searchers.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=144097&highlight=amplifier

Like he said I'm not sure if the wiring is the same for non HK systems. I assume I do not have an amp. I'm sure i will figure it all out when I tear the car apart. I
m most interested in wiring diagrams.

Solder solder solder! Butt connectors are made to fail!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would like to hear how it sounds. I am thinking of downgrading and if I like the Bass on it I might do the same thing you have.

Ok, so disclaimer first. I have no experience whatsoever with car audio. I can however follow basic instructions (although my wife might disagree).

I just purchased an Infinity basslink for install into my 330ci. The car does not have the HK system. It is all stock, including the headunit (a 2001 model).

I have done several searches but everything I find is for install into the HK system. This is a USA model car so there is a factory amp in the trunk. I have a few basic questions for anyone willing to help:

1. What do I need to buy to complete this install. I had looked for an install kit but I can't find one anywhere. I am assuming I can buy everything I need at radio shack or another electronic retailer. Could someone please provide me with a list??

2. How do I do it? What is the easiest method? I had planned on mounting the sub in front of the ski-pass facing backwards. So I am looking for the easiest and cleanest install method. Can I just tap into the inputs going into the mid-basses mounted into the rear deck for my signal? And then add the power? Does that still require a remote on/off switch?

Little bit daunted.

Help greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts