E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have seen a few DIY projects where the navi unit is replaced with a bezel/nexus 7 set-up and I want to do this in my 325i e46.

My only question about the installation is regarding the audio. When the navi unit is removed, there of course will not be a clean 3.5mm aux port anymore for me to use (once navi is removed I'm guessing just a couple of wires from the harness with be there).

Is there some sort of adapter that can connect to the disconnected harness cable(s) and provide an auxiliary input/connection, or do I need to find a way to install a head unit in the trunk and wire an rca -> aux cable to the front? There is currently a 5-disc cd changer in the trunk that I am happy to take out (perhaps I can install separate head unit here without re-wiring)?

Any feedback on approach / what's possible is appreciated!

·
Registered
879 Posts
A week or so ago I started a thread about simple 3.5 aux input in electronics&sound section. (here is the link)

I was told that my factory harman kardon amplifier takes high level (speaker) input. I was also told that I could try mini stereo amp that I had laying around.
Guess what? It works. I ordered new e46 radio harness. Then soldered left amp output with left input on wiring harness. Same thing for the right side.
Then soldered +12, GRND, and +12ACC wires to mini amp, and also soldered white wire that activates factory amp to +12ACC.

Works as expected but mini amp that I have is a bit too much. I would look for maybe 8-10W stereo amp.

See thread for more pictures and what not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jM2.me -- thanks for the reference, it's been very helpful!

I am going to try the following:

BMW speaker/power connector (disconnected from navi) -> wiring harness adapter -> line out converter -> rca to aux male cable -> nexus 7.

This should work as long as the line out converter is two way. Ill share an update when I've tried it out.

Any audio experts, please let me know if this is or is not the way to go!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of you with an E46 with stock Navi HU, stock speakers, and stock factory amp, you're in luck! It was REALLY simple to replace OEM nav with nexus 7 (ill be posting a DIY soon).

All I had to do was literally change the OEM nav HU input to Aux, then disconnect and remove OEM nav HU. The auxillary cable is connected directly to the radio wire harness adapter you disconnected from the navi unit. Volume controls works and best of all I didn't have to drop $2000+ (was quoted this from many audio shops) for new amp, bypassing factory amp, crossovers, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
For those of you with an E46 with stock Navi HU, stock speakers, and stock factory amp, you're in luck! It was REALLY simple to replace OEM nav with nexus 7 (ill be posting a DIY soon).

All I had to do was literally change the OEM nav HU input to Aux, then disconnect and remove OEM nav HU. The auxillary cable is connected directly to the radio wire harness adapter you disconnected from the navi unit. Volume controls works and best of all I didn't have to drop $2000+ (was quoted this from many audio shops) for new amp, bypassing factory amp, crossovers, etc etc etc.

Request for DIY!! Please!
Im very interested as im sure others are. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great mod!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Very nice.

Does factory aux device plug into one of the smaller connectors on stereo harness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks sick. Pls post dyi. Im using USA SPEC for ipod and AUX right now. And want to upgrade to Nexus 7 mod. I dont have HK or cd changer.
So how do you think i could get it to work? I wanna get rid of the USA SPEC, if anyone wants it its up for sale.

·
Registered
581 Posts
@cudzich09: How is your GPS working on that? I mean if you got a proper signal...
I tried, in the past, to use a Samsung tablet with a dash mount (just to test it) and it had some issues getting GPS signal, if it was placed in that area (maybe, it was just because of the urban environment or the tablet GPS chip was crap).

·
Registered
488 Posts
@cudzich09: How is your GPS working on that? I mean if you got a proper signal...
I tried, in the past, to use a Samsung tablet with a dash mount (just to test it) and it had some issues getting GPS signal, if it was placed in that area (maybe, it was just because of the urban environment or the tablet GPS chip was crap).
I have an in-dash mounted nexus 7 and it gets great GPS reception with the onboard chip.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have an in-dash mounted nexus 7 and it gets great GPS reception with the onboard chip.
Then it must be my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 poor reception - I have noticed that even its mobile network coverage is very poor, when my Blackberry is showing full coverage.

Anyway it is very interesting, as when installing a tablet, you don't have to modify the HVAC vent pipes, as when you install a 2DIN HU. I was also thinking about this type of installation, as there's plenty of space to fit a 7 inch tablet (or to insert my Garmin 4.3 inch satnav).
However, I could not find this part in Europe, as it not manufactured any more (maybe, in US, it is still in some stocks - part number 51180015949). This kind of setup would allow having a 1DIN HU (either original, or an aftermarket HU with AUX or Bluetooth connection)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Then it must be my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 poor reception - I have noticed that even its mobile network coverage is very poor, when my Blackberry is showing full coverage.

Anyway it is very interesting, as when installing a tablet, you don't have to modify the HVAC vent pipes, as when you install a 2DIN HU. I was also thinking about this type of installation, as there's plenty of space to fit a 7 inch tablet (or to insert my Garmin 4.3 inch satnav).
However, I could not find this part in Europe, as it not manufactured any more (maybe, in US, it is still in some stocks - part number 51180015949). This kind of setup would allow having a 1DIN HU (either original, or an aftermarket HU with AUX or Bluetooth connection)
A couple of things with the Garmin setup. Is it tied into the spakers so that you can get voice prompts? Is it really easy enough to see down there? Can you use voice commands to initiate navigation?

That's part of the reason I like having the tablet. The ironlight website that I linked above has a video on nav use with the in-dash tablet and that's basically what all vehicle nav should be like. Also, that power button is a must - not for regular use, but when you need it you need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.