E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes you will have to cut the air box that sits behind the hvac controls out to give the DD enough depth. The kit should come with a template for the cutout.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the shop I'm taking it to won't charge too much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the cutting affect the air flow of my central vents much? It gets to hot down here to lose my a/c flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer

·
Registered
249 Posts
Will the cutting affect the air flow of my central vents much? It gets to hot down here to lose my a/c flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer
I never noticed much effect. Just have to make sure to get the hole you cut out covered good and tight then nothing should be causing a decrease in the airflow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's not a difficult task at all. If you get the Janus kit, it includes the parts to take care of the heat/ventilation arm relocation. If you read up on all the DIY's you'll get a better understanding of what's required to do the installation. The biggest fear everyone has is cutting up the plastic with a dremel to make room for the DD, but that's no big deal. ONce you make your first cut, you'll get over that initial fear. If you DIY, it'll take 3-4 hours tops. The instructions provided by Janus Design are very accurate and easy to follow.

If you have some dynamat/sound deadening laying around, you can use that to seal up any spaces you have from cutting the plastic airbox.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm feeling much better about doing this now. I'll post up pics of the final product once it's completed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts