E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to install a cigarette outlet under the drivers seat (or nearby) that will turn off when the engine turns off ?? Thanks

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
well there is an adapter bmw sells that takes the power of the rechargable flashlight in your glovebox to a cigarette lighter. let me know if you want the part number

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about that part,however, it stays hot when the car is off. I need it to shut off with the car. THanks

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
what do you mean? well i dont have the actually ciig lighter piece in it, just the open slot in case i need to put my phone charger in

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do u mean the stock cig outlet near the stickshift or are u talking about the one u can put in ur glovebox in the flashlite port ? I just tested the stock one and it does not turn off when u lock the car.

pardi said:
It will go off as soon as you lock the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I hooked up with one of our fellow board members, CynicalWry, and he installed a new cig outlet for me under the coin tray in the center console, all hidden and out of sight, very nice job !!! Many thanks !!!

R1man1963 said:
do u mean the stock cig outlet near the stickshift or are u talking about the one u can put in ur glovebox in the flashlite port ? I just tested the stock one and it does not turn off when u lock the car.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well I think it depends on what you need the power for. If you just need power and do not need the cig lighter piece, just run a relay and connect the trigger of the relay to a hot wire that is only on when the car is on, like the do for the dde's. Hope that helps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts