BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off I appologize for not having any pictures but I honestly forgot to take them. After reading numerous forums about how hard it is to do any aftermarket stereo in any bmw I decided to post How To guide for a 2001 330i. If I feel bored this weekend I will take the stereo out and take pictures.

list of tools-parts needed:

1.Flat head screw driver with electrical tape wrapped around the tip
2.Philips head
3.dremel with plastic bit on it ( or wire cutters work ok not as nice and easy though)
4.Strippers (the tool not the blonde)
5.Electrical tape (good stuff not cheapy)
6.2002-05 wiring harness adapter(can buy from crutchfield or local audio shop)$5
7.Aftermarket faceplate(looks like the dashboard with a cutout for the headunit
8.Headunit(now if you are using a norm basic cd player headunit this will be easier or an older flip out dvd player with a separate brain is easier also I of course have all pre outs through rca and a newer headunit with built in brain so it was harder)

Ok so on to removal of everything

1.pry the wood trim off with the flat head screw driver starting from the far passanger side 2.5inches from the edge continue along going right to left until all the wood grain is off the dash from around the headunit

2.Remove the 2 philips head screws on the top left and right holding the reciever in place

3.pry the harness tab upwards then remove the haress from the back of the stereo also remove antenna wire etc

4.The climate control comes out next it should pop out pretty easily with jus alittle push from the back

6.Un plug the climate control and tape the 3 plugs together so they dont get lost

5.You will then see 4 screws one in each corner of the opening 2 underneith the bottom of the vents other 2 in far bottom corners remove them

6. now the plastic holder for the climat control and headunit comes out(it requires some finagling easier if you pull it from the bottom first)

7.The trick for fitting all the new wires

8. Holding the plastic bracket as if it were in the car cut the stop off the back(the tab that connects the bottom to the top)

9.Next you will see that the headunit actually sits to the drivers side more then pass.

10.Cut the whole rite side and bottom off the bracket an inch off the front of the bracket

11.This now leaves a good size compartment just for wires about 3"x3"x6" if more space is needed you can trim alittle off the top pass side gain you another 1"

12.Before installing anything back up figure out what else has to be ran (sub wires, another tv, the brain(older dvd headunits), ipod hookup

13.any wires needed to be ran should get ran now

14.There is a cavity on the right side behind the climate control that leads to the pass side floor through the center console

15.If you make a strait line from the right side of the climate control to the floor you can pry 2 screw drivers under the center console what i did was pry out about 1.5" and used a handle of a screw driver to keep the center console away from the floor now i could fit my hand about halfway in there without scraping up my hand

16.run your wires through individualy through the cavity you shouldnt need a coat hanger or anything just put your fingers in the access you created with the screw drivers while you are lowering the wires you will feel them easily

17. once you have them coming out the bottom now you can tuck them in the molding and work your way anywere in the car

18. now reinstall your customized plastic bracket making sure all wires are fished through correctly and make sure the vent screw holes go ontop of your brack just like how you took it out

19. Plug all your wires into your new headunit (DO NOT REINSTLL CLIMATE CONTROL YET)

20. start by pushing all the wires to the cavity as possible

21. When the headunit gets half way in dont just push it in the rest of the way yet use a flashlight and a buddy to help you use the climate control opening to manover the wires to the far right

22. as long as the head unit is 90% in you can start putting the screws back in start with the headunit then the 4 corners

23. Now you can plug and pop the climate control back in

24. And now your done

Things to know
1.if your installing a dvd player ground the e-brake switch wire if you would like to watch while the ebrake is not engaged

2.you can use a 1990-2000 wire harnes adapter which will create alot louder sound through the front spekers but you will have to use the settings in the headunit to adjust the level controll

3.I didn't mention it earlier because I have bad habbits and i didn't but you should unplug your battery I dont but I have installed alot of head units

4.Have fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering if could help me out, I just bought a 2001 325xi, im putting in a aftermarket HU,I ran all my wires and everything turns on on my headunit but I get no sound, all my wires are hooked up, is there something else I need

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If mute setting doesnt work my question is when you hooked up your speaker wires which set did u use off the hu pre outs or amped also what headunit are you using

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm doing something similar - I'm trying to install a Kenwood KDC-BT752HD head unit, and while the fit is perfect, I can't get it to slide in all the way - it's sticking out about an inch, and is running into something that's preventing it from going any further. I've cut out all the non-need wires from both the head unit's harness, and the adapter harness that came with the head unit, and that helped, but it's still not going in all the way. Is there some trick to this? Thanks,.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm doing something similar - I'm trying to install a Kenwood KDC-BT752HD head unit, and while the fit is perfect, I can't get it to slide in all the way - it's sticking out about an inch, and is running into something that's preventing it from going any further. I've cut out all the non-need wires from both the head unit's harness, and the adapter harness that came with the head unit, and that helped, but it's still not going in all the way. Is there some trick to this? Thanks,.
I ran into the same problem with same hu. There's a plastic piece in the back that the original CD player had a nipple on the back and it slid into it. I cut this out and new hu slide in perfectly. Its a plastic strip about an inch wide with a hole in the center.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts