BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talked to a shop the other day that does impressive work -- i already purchased my subs, speakers, and sub amp so all I need is a box for the subs, amp for the components, and the speakers and amps installed.

their pricing lines up pretty well except for one thing - they say they need to pull the head unit and "condition" it to make sure it gives a clean output - and want $350 for labor. what exactly is the deal with that? shouldn't my hk head unit be able to talk to the xtant and phoenix gold amps just fine?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounded like that was what was going on - i thought the head unit already put out a clean balanced signal, but i obviously am way out of my element w/this stuff...

·
Registered
833 Posts
The signal isn't necessarily bad, but it's not balanced, not balanced to where it puts out a 100% perfect signal. I personally think $350 is a HUGE waste of money, especially for a factory headunit. You could run a line driver for half that and get the same result.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nevermind, just saw your other post... i'll pm you in a sec

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seriously! it's a lot of money. i want to keep the factory unti though because of the look (no aftermarket unit will fit right or look as good) and the steering wheel controls...

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
That sounds like a rip off to me too. BTW They do make adapters for aftermarlet headunits that allow you to retain the function of the steering wheel controls. Ask Ron about them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the bmw head unit really not good enough to give my xtant and phoenix gold amps a good signal?

·
TX Dinan 3
854 Posts
get a line driver, thats what id with my stock head unit and my system sounds great. i had an aftermarket head unit in my last car and it sounds just as good

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so do I still need to get amps that can handle the "Balanced" input? i.e. Phoenix gold, or could I use an MTX 6304 for the infinity kappas?

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
PAC SWI-X is one.

AdamR

GhostRider said:
That sounds like a rip off to me too. BTW They do make adapters for aftermarlet headunits that allow you to retain the function of the steering wheel controls. Ask Ron about them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i haven't seen any head units that will "fit in" with the bimmer dash aesthetically though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts