E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So last night we installed both tie rod ends and 1 drivers side axle (to stop the clicking noise while accelerating off the line while turning).

Now, the steering wheel is off center by just under a 1/4 to the left, which I understand can be corrected by an alignment. BUT (and here's the big issue), now the DSC light is on (and subsequently the traction control is off), and the Brake and ABS light are both on (and the ABS is off). Uggh.

I've been told that a couple of different things.

a) An alignment could fix everything.
b) An alignment could straighten the steering wheel but I damaged the whell speed sensor and / or the steering angle sensor
c) And / or I have the wrong axle in there which could open a pandora's box of sh**.

I would love to hear some thoughts / suggestions from YOU pros...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
dont sweat it.. some of us have done something to our cars and something else went south at one time or another. Just take it as a learning experience, troubleshoot and fix it or get it fixed and the next time you will get a better result....:hi:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
i would check your brake sensors connections. Did you put it in reverse and then drive it? ive had my lights come on when i disconnect the battery, Then i reverse out of the garage and then drive like 50ft and they recalibrate and turn off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake sensors are fine. I've driven it a bunch today. When I first start the car, the lights are on until I drive it for about 30 seconds and then all the ABS and DSC come on. And by driving it, I can tell for certain that the ABS is off, as is the Traction control. There is snow on the streets here right now so I am able to tell that the traction control is not on. and SMUUUV, thanks for making me feel like less of an idiot. ha. Any other ideas / input are certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's not the brake sensors that is the issue, I would guess something with the ABS wheel speed sensor. Is it inserted properly, connected? Not familar with the Xi, where is the toothed wheel that the sensor senses. Was that touched in some way, something installed backwards?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
This can happen when your alignment is off, throws off your DSC module. It doesn't have eyes and relys on real time data from a bunch of sensors and right now you have a issue with maybe steering angle sensor? Does the car still go straight with the sideways wheel? Get the alignment, it's like $50-60 and probably due anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
three2slick, Yes, the car drives straight (with a VERY mild pull to the left on the interstate, but not a worry).

would it turn off the ABS as well?

one mechanic i spoke with said to turn i may have damaged the wheel speed sensor and / or steering angle sensor when i installed the axle. any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
three2slick, would it turn off the ABS as well?
Traction, ABS and (maybe) yellow brake light come on together when one has a fault, it shuts off for safety reasons and cannot operate without the other. You can always get it scanned too. You NEED an alignment either way, you have a fvcked up steering wheel lol. I would also check for loose connections since you were working in the area of all the wheel sensors. Don't sweat this will be an easy fix

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. kbsilver, i'm not sure but the axle (which is toothed) was replaced and apparently it gets inserted into where the sensor touches. that's my concern with f'ing up the sensor.

and three2slick, yes i indeed have a f'd up steering wheel. good times...

·
Registered
744 Posts
If I remember correctly, you may have dirt on the sensor which might cause the issue. Considering all the grease etc with this job it is easy to get grease on the sensor. If I remember right, this sensor is the one that gets inserted to the hub assembly and has 1 screw on it. Silly question, did you insert the shaft all the way until you got a click from the retaining ring at the end (you did put that on right?) what manufacturer did you get this shaft from?

I replaced the passenger front shaft on mine a few months ago so my memory is rusty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't know the answer to that question. I am the not so mechanical guy in this ordeal. I will have to run that by the guy who helped me. I wish I knew.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We didnt take the hub assembly apart. We removed the lower control arm pulled the axle from behind it...then replaced it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I wasn't talking about taking the hub assembly apart. When you pop the shaft out of the hub (it's decently heavy) One of 4 possible things happened. I took mine off the strut to make it clear. Anyway on to the 4 things.

1) It drops all the way down until it runs out of brake line to hang from (bad)
2) It drops all the way down until it runs out of sensor wire ( and wire breaks off the clip on the strut) which is also bad and can / will probably break the wire on the sensor.
3) It drops all the way to the ground because the brakes were disconnected and moved so as not to damage the brake line and the sensor was removed from the hub.
4) See 3 except you have something underneath the control arm and hub to brace it's fall.

BTW you got the correct shaft since they are about 4 inches longer for the passenger side. I know as I ordered the wrong one when working on my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx wat3rbug. i am unsure on this. i dont remember any of these details to be honest...and it doesn't sound like its the case, but it certainly could be. I am going to run it by my guy and see if it rings a bell. I will be back in touch....

Thanks to everyone thus far, and please keep em coming!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts