E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing my DDE gen V, but how to power it?

I tried to connect the blue wire by tapping into the one of the light but it wont turn on!

So which cable should I tap in to????? I tried to tap in the ECU box but it didn't work as well :sad:

So, what's "trigger" mean in the DIY manual?? Is it any cable that has positive power ??? Can I just directly attach the blue wire to the battery +ve to test it??? PLEASE HELP

·
Nymphomaniac
264 Posts
Heres a quick help with the install

You should have one wire directly to the battery with the fuse.
Then there is a ground (black wire)

The blue wire is the trigger, that can be connected to the fog lights. So that when your fogs are on the DDE's come on.

You said you tried to connect to the ECU and it still didn't work? what color was the ecu wire that you tried to tap into. I believe its a green wire. It should work just fine.

I think if you touch the trigger wire (blue) to the battery then the lights should come on for a quick test.)

Also make sure you have a good grounding point. (some where on the body)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACS Rob said:
Just tap in to your fogs... it's the easiest way to do it. :D
So I just need to peel the cable and tab into it? but where's the cable??:dunno:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tquach said:
You should have one wire directly to the battery with the fuse.
Then there is a ground (black wire)
Yep, done!!

You said you tried to connect to the ECU and it still didn't work? what color was the ecu wire that you tried to tap into. I believe its a green wire. It should work just fine.
Actually, I tried just to touch the base of the green wire (the metal piece) but my DDE still off :(

I think if you touch the trigger wire (blue) to the battery then the lights should come on for a quick test.)
Are you sure, I tried this but it didnt work as well, I only see the small sparks when I touch the +ve with the blue wire..!

Any idea what's wrong with my setup??? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Thanks

·
Nymphomaniac
264 Posts
where do you have the black wire grounded? Make sure you have the ground wire attached to some part of the body.

pics would help.

When tapping into the ecu your key needs to be in the ignition second position I believe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jestr said:
Here's Fiberdesign's diagram. Its the diagram I used to install my DAE's. I used the switch option :D
So, for option 2, I should connect the blue wire to the foglight housing, shouldnt I??? :confused:

·
Nymphomaniac
264 Posts
Option 2 Foglights

For this option tap the blue wire into the foglights 12v+ and your DDE's will turn on when your foglights are turned on.

Also check to see that you didn't blow the fues too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gonna try it again!!! I want to make sure if want to tap into the fog lights, I just need to tap into the green wire right?

One more thing, How do you guys secure the light boxes? use double sided table? or drill a hole and use a screw?

Thanks guys...

Atlas.., if I still cant do it.., I'll give u a yell.... :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Use tape/wire-ties to secure the lightboxes. Those mounting brackets - i've nfi where they're supposed to go. They don't seem to fit the places suggested in the install guide.

Anyways, just tap the blue wire to the foglight wire... i'm not sure if u have ready access to the foglight wire or not (2001 i can just pop out my foglight lense) and access the wire there.

Where abouts u located?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finally, I figured it out :D

I'm an idiot :banghead: , I thought I already ground the DDE, but I attached it to one of the bold just behind the +ve battery..and I just realised that the bolt is attached to the PLASTIC panel :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Finally it works now! :D

But, is it normal to have the ring not completely bright?? I mean the lower part of the ring is dimmer... redish-yellowish in color!!

Thanks guys for your help...! :thumbup: I'll post pics later...!

Hey, Umnitza... when do we get the FREE LumenX enhanced????

Atlas.., I'm in southbank..., but It's working now... !!

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Cool...was going to offer you some more advice since we just put another customers lights in tonight but with a custom switch with LED indicator. :)

good job,
rick

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Cool...was going to offer you some more advice since we just put another customers lights in tonight but with a custom switch with LED indicator.
DIY? DIY? DIY? :D I'm gonna get Gen V's from Bimmian in the next 2 or 3 months, and I'd LOVE to do what you did!!

Bart
P.S. sorry for the thread-jacking. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts