BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!!!

I just had to report back about this mod. This is fan-****ing-tastic. $2 in parts and such a massive improvement in driveability. If you haven't done this mod yet, you're missing out.

Parts Used:

1 - M10 40mm 1.5pitch Bolt
2 - M10 Nuts
1 - Big Flat Washer
1 - M10 Locking Washer
1 - Rubber Leg Cap

I put the two nuts on the bolt first, followed by the locking washer, then the flat washer. I screwed the bolt into the floor in place of the old clutch stop. Adjusted it out about a turn shy of interfering with the start mechanism. Tightened down one nut to clamp the washers in place, the second nut simply helped to hold the rubber cap in place.

Total time: 10mins.

This tuesday my CDV is coming out. Can't wait!!!

cya, Stew.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What/where did you get the rubber leg cap? Is that normally intended for stools?

Is the CDV, the clutch restrictor valve thing?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The end-cap was from Canadian Tire, I bought it in the 'Fasteners' section. I'm sure Home Depot would have the exact same thing. It looks exactly like what you'd find on the end of a stool leg, or a cane, or a chair, etc. They had a huge assortment and I just picked the biggest one that still fit snugly over the end of the M10 bolt.

As for damaging the clutch, no. I could see this causing premature wear if the clutch were partially engaged, but it is still close enough to the floor that it doesn't interfere with the start mechanism and you can _feel_ that it is not engaged at all. When you start to let the clutch out you can tell where it starts to catch and there is still a good inch of dead travel before that happens. Whereas before there was about 2.5" of useless travel, now there is like 1". So, my clutch stop raises the clutch about 1.5" from the floor. It's really a very nice change. Shifts feel nice and quick. Much more precise.

Yes, the CDV is a 'clutch delay valve'. It regulates the rate at which the clutch is released. My problem with it is that it totally numbs the clutch. The clutch in my old e30 three series is waaaaay better than the clutch in my e46. It's predictable, controllable, and locks up tight when I dump it. And it's 11 years older, how is that right!?! Apparently the e46 M3 doesn't even ship with one. If actually driving the e46 clutch doesn't tell you something's wrong, that should.

I can't wait to drive this car after it's removed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CDV is out!

Got the CDV pulled this afternoon. Well, I'm not blown away with it yet, but give me a couple of days to adjust and we'll see. I didn't have a chance to drive it hard yet, so that will tell the tale. If it removes the weak shift to second under hard acceleration I'm going to be very happy.

Biggest improvement so far is that I can smoothly pull away from a stop at like 1200 rpm. Before I had to get it up to about 2000 or more for a smooth start, and then you could really tell there was excessive slipping going on.

Anyone else pulled the CDV? What was your first impression?

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
I removed my CDV today, I thought there was a big improvement! Before, starting in 1st and shifting to 2nd both had almost two actions that caused everyone in the car to act like a bobble-head, it was like you feel the clutch make contact, then there was a second action when the clutch was engaged. The only way to get smooth starts was to rev up to ~2K and slowly release the clutch, with some slipping, now you can make one fluid motion and there is not any jerking! My G/F, who does not really notice things with my car, noticed the lack of jerking, without me saying anything about it. That was the true test that showed the improvement!:thumbup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
davidwarren said:
I removed my CDV today, .......
..... My G/F, who does not really notice things with my car, noticed the lack of jerking, without me saying anything about it. That was the true test that showed the improvement!:thumbup:
Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

I am looking for someone's removed CDV for a project, PM me if you got one you will not need. Offering a little reward for your troubles.
Thanks

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
What are you planning on doing with it???:evil:

proveg said:
Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

I am looking for someone's removed CDV for a project, PM me if you got one you will not need. Offering a little reward for your troubles.
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I want to modify (increase througput) it and then put it instead of my original one.
I dont want to be without one if my test does not work out well. and dont want to be without the car for long as I live in NYC and dont have ability to work on car in my own garage at my own pace.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cdv

Isn't there a place in NJ that modifies these and re-installes them?
I'm really interested in removing or modifing it. Is everybody happy with this?

·
Registered
589 Posts
proveg said:
I want to modify (increase througput) it and then put it instead of my original one.
I dont want to be without one if my test does not work out well. and dont want to be without the car for long as I live in NYC and dont have ability to work on car in my own garage at my own pace.
I believe you don't need one in at all and that most people just remove them completely.

·
Registered
126 Posts
AirBen said:
Yes, there is. Zeckhausen Racing. http://www.zeckhausen.com
I dont feel like dealing with them and paying them for making a hole in CDV using their magical method. They do provide service and the idea is great, but I dont value it same as they do. I have no reason to pay them for their labor rates.

As for removing it, my car is leased and brand new. I dont want to deal with warranty and lease return issues and it would be a minimal amount of effort on my part to modify CDV.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Btw, I used a 45mm bolt and it was still short enough to not interfere with starting mechanism

1 - 15 of 15 Posts