BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(non hk, 200 323i)

i've physically installed my amps & run all the wires, and tonite i'm going to actually cut the factory harness and connect everything!!

Does anyone have any secrets or hints or anything that i should be aware of before i connect to the battery, remote, ground..?

Just want to avoid any big mistakes. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
delirium,

i hooked everything up last night and i've only got a few channel prob's, but that's b/c of mis-wiring, i think. so, i've now successfully added a 4 channel and 1 channel amp to the system. the way you do it depends on the amp you're going to add. i'm more than happy to help you through it and let you know exactly what i've done. i'm going to take pics of everything before i seal it all up, so that'll help you picture it..

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
I am adding a PPI PCX 4 channel amp and I want to connect the speaker wires to the factory ones AFTER the factory amp, but I do not know which wires go to which speakers. Also, doesnt the factory radio have like 10 output channels? I know to disregard 4 of them for the mids in the doors, but how do you connect the factory tweeters & front mids to the 2 front channels of my amp?

Thanks, sorry, im confused.

·
Registered
687 Posts
One trick to keep noise from being introduced into the lines is to try to run the power cable perpendicular to both the ground wire and the speaker wires.

Energized cables create magnetic flux around them (for those that remember the right-hand rule) and running them next to/parallel to each other allows their respective fluxes to interfere with each other.

Also, you probably know this, but you want to keep your power and ground cables as short as possible (in part to avoid the above), and if possible, connect the ground cable to a factory grounding point (look for all the brown wires inside the passenger rear fender) and try to ground all your other audio connections there as well (this avoids ground loops, which introduce noise).

Other than that, it's easy! ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ha!! thanks for the feedback, johnhab!! i followed most of your rules here and the system sounds really good. next goal is attaining better spks.. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts