E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 M3 and the dealer requires an inspection II to be done for $1500. I honestly don't see the value in this. Can this be skipped? I really don't want to cough up $1500 as a college student for something I won't even see or feel a difference in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
$1500 is pretty reasonable from a dealer IMO. And no, you shouldn't skip it but you could do it yourself if you have the skills, time and tools. These cars are not cheap to maintain which is why you'll see many of us not recommending it for young(er) drivers...

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Most of Inspection 2 is maintenance you should be doing on any car with that mileage. If you want to skip it, go ahead, many people don't maintain their cars properly - yet its at your peril. The performance of these cars requires a bit more care than the average econobox.

This is what needs to be done for inspection 2:
- check/adjust valves
- change engine oil/filter
- change spark plugs
- change air filter
- change cabin filter
- change diff fluid
- change transmission fluid

and these could be done at the same time depending on interval
- flush brake fluid (every 2 years)
- flush coolant (every 4 years)

Only the valve check/adjustment "needs" to be done at an BMW indy/dealer, the rest you could DIY or pay any shop much less to do. A lot of this you could DIY with minimal tools, especially spark plugs and air/cabin filter.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The whole purpose of performing routine maintenance is to replace filters, fluids, etc. BEFORE something is damaged. Inspection 2 includes a valve adjustment, which you may or may not feel, depending upon how far out of adjustment they were. The fact that you may not feel the difference does not mean that the scheduled inspection is unnecessary. You can't feel new oil either, but the consequences of a failure to change your oil will arise suddenly, and typically as a seized engine. Don't bother to replace your fuel filter (part of Inspection 2) and when it finally clogs up your car will simply die on you. Routine service also gives your trained mechanics a chance to look at belts, hoses, brake pads and rotors, RTABS, etc, so that you have advance warning about what items are wearing out and need to be replaced. By the way, it isn't the "dealer" who is advising you to have inspection 2 done. The maintenance schedules are set out by BMW. You have to presume that their engineers know what they are doing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The price for the service is really not that bad being that it is the dealer quoting you that. OP, you could always check with some local Indy shops and see if they may be able to save you a few bucks. However, as others have said, it's all preventive maintenance and it should be done. M's are definitely not cheap cars to maintain, but if you want to own a relatively trouble free car(hopefully), you should pay to maintain it.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Just DIY. Nice weekend job. Then find a nice Indy shop to do the valve adjustment. ECS sells a kit with all the fluids and filters. I think it was like $300? And I know there's a guy in SoCal that'll do a valve adjustment for $200 so only $500 for inspection two down here in SoCal.
Yes the guy only charges $200, he's on m3forum and has very good reviews.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Only the valve check/adjustment "needs" to be done at an BMW indy/dealer, the rest you could DIY or pay any shop much less to do. A lot of this you could DIY with minimal tools, especially spark plugs and air/cabin filter.
This doesn't "need" to be done at a shop or dealer, it can also be DIY'd or done by someone "kaiv" who knows how and will only charge you $200....and the plugs and gaskets and filters can all be done at same time...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i got my inspection II and vanos serviced for 1350, i mean it cant hurt your car it can only help it, and also they will tell you other things that need to be fixed such as cracking belts, leaking seals etc. DO IT!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, it is a necessity if you care to keep the car properly maintained. If not, screw it.... It's your ride. I $1500 is too much, hit up the DIYs and do it yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing the valve adjustment pay somebody to do it. A lot of people can do it for a fraction of the cost. But as stated, this car, properly maintained, isn't well suited for a college kid on a budget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Got it done today at a private dealer for $600 excluding the valve adjustments. I had a lot of the stuff from the inspection II maintenance done independently or before I bought the car so I knew the complete status of the car. It came out clean and I replaced spark plugs, cabin filter, air filters, fuel filter, brake fluid, etc.

It's the vlave adjustment that I've heard different things about from different shops. Obviously not urgent, but something I should take care of I suppose.

I also got an oil "seepage" in the SMG line. I;ve had 4 different BMW certified mechanics diagnose it and say it isn't a big deal and doesn't need to be dealt with urgently, but that it will cost around $1000 in labor when I decide to take care of it. Maybe a job I can just rent a lift out and DIY?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 03 M3 and the dealer requires an inspection II to be done for $1500. I honestly don't see the value in this. Can this be skipped? I really don't want to cough up $1500 as a college student for something I won't even see or feel a difference in.
You're driving the wrong car. Maintenance is an absolute necessity. I feel bad for the next owner.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Saw a "kit" online someplace that had all the stuff to do the valve adjustments and the rest of inspection II for $400. There's even a few step by step YouTube vids on doing the valve adjustments. Then for about $50 on eBay you can get the dealer software package and obdii cable to reset all the service lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Got it done today at a private dealer for $600 excluding the valve adjustments. I had a lot of the stuff from the inspection II maintenance done independently or before I bought the car so I knew the complete status of the car. It came out clean and I replaced spark plugs, cabin filter, air filters, fuel filter, brake fluid, etc.

It's the vlave adjustment that I've heard different things about from different shops. Obviously not urgent, but something I should take care of I suppose.

I also got an oil "seepage" in the SMG line. I;ve had 4 different BMW certified mechanics diagnose it and say it isn't a big deal and doesn't need to be dealt with urgently, but that it will cost around $1000 in labor when I decide to take care of it. Maybe a job I can just rent a lift out and DIY?
Sounds like you bought the wrong car. If you can not afford these small charges you shouldnt of purchased an M car.

Both Inspections I and II should be done in full and done by a qualified technician if you dont have the necessary tools and skills to accomplish them yourself and they should be accomplished in full.

Next time stick to the standard Bimmer and stay away from the M cars...

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my opinion, the dealer way overprices the inspection 2 service. Active Autowerke did mine for like half the price of what the dealer quoted me.

Since you're in Arizona, im pretty sure you can find a reputable shop like Vivid racing or Evolution Motorsports to do the service for you at a lower cost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.