BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, been going over some service records of my M3 that I bought about a month ago and found out that inspection II was done on 05/15/2008 at 40k miles. I've been doing some reading on here about when the inspection is supposed to be done and I guess it depends on what the computer is reading and driving conditions? Most people seem to have their inspections come up around 50-65k miles, why would mine have been done at such a low milage? The inspection was done two years ago. I still have another 11k miles before my computer says I need another one. At this point do I basically do the same thing again? Change plugs, tranny fluid, rear end fluid, adjust valves, change valve gaskets, etc? I'm changing the oil in about 2,500 miles at 57,500 miles to get it back on the 7500 mile oil change.

The software has been updated on 6/28/2010, and it looks like the brake fluid was changed at the some time, so I have two years on that.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
guess previous owner drove that ***** the way it was suppose to be driven, lol.

And it goes inspection 1,2,1 etc..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess previous owner drove that ***** the way it was suppose to be driven, lol.

And it goes inspection 1,2,1 etc..
AWESOME! Thank you! Looks like the only difference is the spark plugs and power steering flush?

I'm going to be changing the coolant every January and the brake fluid in two years.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A couple of things. First, no need to change coolant every year. In fact, you are asking for problems (with getting air in the system) more than you are preventing problems. Next, while the inspections are 1,2,1,2, Remember it is actually: Oil service, Insp. 1, oil service, Inspec. 2, etc. Valve adjustment is the biggie in the inspections.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did an Inspect. II at 42k - didn't want to take any chances when I bought the car, so I went ahead and did it as preventative maintenance. Maybe the PO did the same?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of things. First, no need to change coolant every year. In fact, you are asking for problems (with getting air in the system) more than you are preventing problems. Next, while the inspections are 1,2,1,2, Remember it is actually: Oil service, Insp. 1, oil service, Inspec. 2, etc. Valve adjustment is the biggie in the inspections.
So in 11k miles I'm just doing another oil service? So my inspection 1 won't be until around 80k miles correct?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Inspection II at 40k? Definitely driven hard, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if it was also cared for. Can't keep the car in bubble wrap forever right?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inspection II at 40k? Definitely driven hard, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if it was also cared for. Can't keep the car in bubble wrap forever right?
eh, the car is still SUPER clean if it was beaten on. I'm not too worried about it. Car has no rattles and I agree 100% about the wrapper comment. The front end has maybe....I mean MAYBE 3-4 rock chips from the bumper to the hood to the fenders. Car is on DD duty now. Lovin' every second! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bullshit. I drive my 2005 M3 like an old lady heading to church (had enough of the speeding tickets LOL) and the inspection 2 light popped on at about 32k. I don't want it to sound like I "recently" started driving like an old lady, I've been doing that since about 20k. Never tracked the car, never *really* drove it hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts