BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older threads here point out that an indy inspection before the end of the OEM warranty is a good idea.

Would you recommend the same at the time the OEM warranty expires but my CPO warranty takes over? Or should I save the money?

(330ci 6m in parkblue - what else?:) 38k miles, 4 years old, currently driving under 8k mi/year. Inspection quote from a local indy shop is $90. CPO will cover for another 50k mi/2 years.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
For $90, I'd do it. That's less than a decent meal at a fine restaurant. Why not? :)

Remember, BMW will not fix anything they find (or tell you about it, unless they can charge you for the repair)... but will fix anything you find.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For $90, I'd do it. That's less than a decent meal at a fine restaurant. Why not? :)

Remember, BMW will not fix anything they find (or tell you about it, unless they can charge you for the repair)... but will fix anything you find.
Would that be with or without wine? And if so, which?

You're right, and thanks for pointing that out again. I remember having read it way back when: you can't make BeeEmm find things, but they will fix them if you do (I believe it was mechanic who was very clear about that point then). Exactly as you said.

Question remains if the CPO warranty will (besides the deductible) be as encompassing as the OEM.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would definitely do it. There are a lot of things that the CPO warranty does not cover compared to the OEM warranty so it is better to catch anything now. It is also good for piece of mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice!

Update: I did the inspection with the indy shop today. The car seems to be in very good condition, including possible trouble spots such as bushings, control arms, oil leaks, a/c etc.

I have only a few minor items I need to address before the warranty runs out. And brakes need replacement at some point, but they're not quite there yet: 5-10k miles left according to the shop.

Next week I'll have an appointment at my dealership to get the minor things done; perhaps I can also convince them that the pads and rotors need to be replaced now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update II

Car had last OEM warranty service at dealership; they took care of a several minor items and did a minor oilchange on my request (without resetting). Brakes and rotors were within spec and therefore not replaced. Oh well. Still, I'm glad l listened to your advice and had the indy inspection done before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts