E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with a blue K-line cable which allowed me to read all of the error codes. once i saw the dme error code i tried to resync the dme. that is when i get the error message, no response from control unit. ive dug around and ended up getting a k+dcan cable and the 20 pin under hood cable, with still the same response. I noticed that as soon as i choose the engine in inpa the led on the cable goes out. Anyone got an idea besides maybe the ecu being fried?

The k+dcan cable works just fine on my 2001 e46

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is yours an auto? Pin 7 is for engine and auto trans ECU's. Pin 8 is for all other control modules. The dash cluster is the gateway to both data busses so try communicating using pin 8, selector switch on the k+dcan cable. If you can talk to other modules and the auto trans then most likely the engine ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is yours an auto? Pin 7 is for engine and auto trans ECU's. Pin 8 is for all other control modules. The dash cluster is the gateway to both data busses so try communicating using pin 8, selector switch on the k+dcan cable. If you can talk to other modules and the auto trans then most likely the engine ECU.
it is a manual trans. Would i try communicating to something in chassis to test without having the auto?

·
Registered
Orient Blue Metallic 2/2001 build 330ci coupe
228 Posts
This is a longshot, but I was recently told that INPA can't communicate fully with my car either.

Luckily, this happened a few days after I saw this 50sKid video. His explanation was...enlightening.

·
Registered
150 Posts
it is a manual trans. Would i try communicating to something in chassis to test without having the auto?
From my knowledge if the k+dcan module has the switch flicked to the right then this enages pins 7 & 8 in the OBD2 connector and allows comms with all the modules in the vehicle. With the switch to the left only pin 7 is engaged and this only allows comms with the engine and auto trans, maybe the ABS too but can't remember.

Being that you have the older 20 pin connector and I have the underdash OBD2 port then I'm not 100% which pin is which for the 20 pin but this is easily found by searching this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts