E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going. 2002 E46 325i sedan manual transmission 155k miles
Inpa has zero problem connecting to my cars ecu which is MS43. I can read engine DTCs. However, when I try to communicate with any other module such as the instrument cluster, or interior light modules I get an ifh-0009 error.
-Would a possible open circuit along the bus lines cause this issue with INPA?
-How do I get INPA to communicate with these modules?
Special Thanks to BaliDawg for his contribution. We have successfully updated DME and fixed a NO-START issue.:love:

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
6,157 Posts
How’s it going. 2002 E46 325i sedan manual transmission 155k miles
Inpa has zero problem connecting to my cars ecu which is MS43. I can read engine DTCs. However, when I try to communicate with any other module such as the instrument cluster, or interior light modules I get an ifh-0009 error.
-Would a possible open circuit along the bus lines cause this issue with INPA?
-How do I get INPA to communicate with these modules?
Special Thanks to BaliDawg for his contribution. We have successfully updated DME and fixed a NO-START issue.:love:
Are pins 7 and 8 bridged on your cable?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened up the k+dcan cable and found the wire from pin 7 is not connected to the switch pin. Number 8 has a wire connected to the switch pin. Can this be the culprit as to why inpa is not able to connect to the other modules? Is this photo helpful or should I retake it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
913 Posts
You have two issues. You have a frayed wire and a disconnected solder joint. Do you know which pin the loose wire should be soldered to (by looking for left over solder on the pin)?

If not, do you have a multi-meter? If so, set the meter to continuity mode. Then find the two pins on the switch that are continuous when you have the slide switch on the correct setting. Re-solder the loose wire to that pin.

I would suggest you replace the frayed wire.

You should not have to replace this. The purpose of the switch is to connect pin 7 and 8. Yours suffer from poor workmanship and not bad parts.

Mine looks like this:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks kaboom. I have two pins on the slide switch that are giving me continuity readings. Does this wire get soldered on to both pins, or just one pin? Which pin is the correct one? Pin 3&4 are continuous

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Check for continuity between pin 2 (existing soldered connection) and all the other pins. Move your slide switch as necessary. Solder the loose wire to the other pin that gives you continuity with pin 2 when the slide switch is at your desired setting. It's likely that depending on your slide switch setting, continuity would be different between the pins.

I can't really tell from your picture, but looks like pin 1 was previously soldered and came loose?

Solder the two wires to 2 different pins. You want continuity between these two pins when your slide switch is at the desired setting.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Optionally, if you don't care about using the cable for anything else, you can just solder the two wires together and forego the switch all together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks kaboom. Multimeter is reading continuity between pins 2&3 on the slide switch when my switch is at the desired DCAN side. Pin 1 was never soldered together, the photo makes it look like that. I’ll go ahead and solder the wire and report back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright that solder joint may not look the most ideal but it’s working. After soldering the wires, I can now easily connect to the Light Switch Center (LSZ), and the Instrument Cluster. Thanks to Kaboom28 and VPointVick for the help. You guys really rock

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
The wire to pin 2 is damaged (insulation melted?). You should fix that. Replace the wire or wrap electrical tape around the melted section.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wire was squished in between the shell casing bolt hole cut outs. What kind of wires do you recommend to use for replacing it?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Any wire of similar size would be fine. It does not carry a lot of current.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts