BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone!
I am relatively new to this forum but am not new the ///M game. I own an E36 M3, E46 M3, E71 X6M and E86 MC. I am looking for some help on an SMG issue on my E46 M3 SMG (darn SMGs)...Any and all help, suggestions or troubleshooting steps would be welcomed with open arms and virtual bear hugs! Thank you!

Background:
  • SMG Pump failure based on symptoms and research (multiple months ago and forget the exact codes/symptoms).
  • Purchased used "known-good" SMG pump from reputable M3 member on Facebook forums.
  • Replaced pump (filled pump with new Pentosil BEFORE connecting hydraulic lines)
  • Downloaded INPA on Windows XP Virtual Machine using Oracle Virtualbox
Current Issues (Note: vehicle still in air if that matters)
  • When putting transmission in N/0, "N" blinks but does not actually go into Neutral (with hood open or closed).
  • While trying to bleed actuator (Step 1 of SMG bleeding procedure), I get a break in the procedure after 30 seconds into 17 min procedure. See below.

- Research shows this is due to low hydraulic pressure. Is there a pressure sensor on the pump that may be failed?

I have tried this bleeding procedure with the salmon relay and 40A fuse both installed and removed. (Pump "should" have enough fluid in case accidental attempt to prime occurs when doors unlocked)

- In a final attempt to make ANY progress, I proceeded to step 2 of the bleeding procedure which seemed to work (no breaks, went through entire procedure although I did not physically hear the pump make any noise).

- During the Adaptations procedure, the following break occurs:

- Auskuppelposition ausserhalb der zulaessigen toleranz : Disengaging position outside the permissible tolerance.

A couple of diagnostic values for the INPA/SMG nerds who might be able to help with troubleshooting:

CURRENT FAULT CODES (after mucking around with everything):

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
Adrian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good afternoon everyone!
I am relatively new to this forum but am not new the ///M game. I own an E36 M3, E46 M3, E71 X6M and E86 MC. I am looking for some help on an SMG issue on my E46 M3 SMG (darn SMGs)...Any and all help, suggestions or troubleshooting steps would be welcomed with open arms and virtual bear hugs! Thank you!

Background:
  • SMG Pump failure based on symptoms and research (multiple months ago and forget the exact codes/symptoms).
  • Purchased used "known-good" SMG pump from reputable M3 member on Facebook forums.
  • Replaced pump (filled pump with new Pentosil BEFORE connecting hydraulic lines)
  • Downloaded INPA on Windows XP Virtual Machine using Oracle Virtualbox
Current Issues (Note: vehicle still in air if that matters)
  • When putting transmission in N/0, "N" blinks but does not actually go into Neutral (with hood open or closed).
  • While trying to bleed actuator (Step 1 of SMG bleeding procedure), I get a break in the procedure after 30 seconds into 17 min procedure. See below.
View attachment 906027
- Research shows this is due to low hydraulic pressure. Is there a pressure sensor on the pump that may be failed?

I have tried this bleeding procedure with the salmon relay and 40A fuse both installed and removed. (Pump "should" have enough fluid in case accidental attempt to prime occurs when doors unlocked)

- In a final attempt to make ANY progress, I proceeded to step 2 of the bleeding procedure which seemed to work (no breaks, went through entire procedure although I did not physically hear the pump make any noise).

- During the Adaptations procedure, the following break occurs:
View attachment 906028
- Auskuppelposition ausserhalb der zulaessigen toleranz : Disengaging position outside the permissible tolerance.

A couple of diagnostic values for the INPA/SMG nerds who might be able to help with troubleshooting:
View attachment 906029
View attachment 906030
View attachment 906031
View attachment 906032
View attachment 906033

CURRENT FAULT CODES (after mucking around with everything):
View attachment 906034
View attachment 906035
View attachment 906036

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
Adrian
Dear
the smg pump doesn't build pressure. Have a look to analog valve 1 on the bottom right side.
The pressure should be at least 45 as soon the electric motor kick on.
It looks like internal seal leak ( Bosch ) it has odd shape seal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear
the smg pump doesn't build pressure. Have a look to analog valve 1 on the bottom right side.
The pressure should be at least 45 as soon the electric motor kick on.
It looks like internal seal leak ( Bosch ) it has odd shape seal.

Ahmed -
Thank you for helping me understand the analog values. When is hydraulic pressure expected to be at zero? Before bleeding? At which times does hydraulic pressure increase after replacing pump? I will replace all seals if necessary but don't want to just throw parts at it...

Thanks,
Adrian

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ahmed -
Thank you for helping me understand the analog values. When is hydraulic pressure expected to be at zero? Before bleeding? At which times does hydraulic pressure increase after replacing pump? I will replace all seals if necessary but don't want to just throw parts at it...

Thanks,
Adrian

As soon the smg motor kick on by key press or door opening it will rise up the pressure to be over 45 till 65 and keep dropping to reach 45 where the smg motor will kick on again. if you have your old pump.do exchange only the ( Bosch ) part that have the seal on it.don't run the pump dry, add some hydrolic oil and be attention to the smg motor sound. check and let me know if the pump could build any pressure
20120416_150820.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing yet. Vehicle is in Florida and I had to leave for work. Looking into changing out seals this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts