E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E46 320Ci
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all,
I must be a fanatic to continue to work on DORMENT day after day and problems continued to persist.
Problem 1.
was a persistent air leak, which I finally found to be the small rubber tube that is on the fuel filter, that is one that I would of never have found if not for searching on this forum.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Problem 2.
was the A/c compressor clutch not turning on, despite the compressor being drained and recharged and a complete overhaul of the A/C system.

In frustration I finally sent the Bimmer to a local shop that advertised they serviced Bimmers, what a **** up that was.
Firstly they rang me and told me the front of radiator fan was U/S and it would be $700 for a new fan, I told them I would supply a new fan I had, then they told me the ECU was crook and would have to be sent out as it was not suppling the correct pulse signal to the fan to turn it on. $900 and it would take three weeks.
After two weeks I was informed that the ECU had arrived but they had not sent the EWS and there would be a further delay... at this point I instructed the workshop to have the ECU returned and button the car back up and I would pick it it up.
On my arrival I was smilingly told that the electrician had removed the bladed fan off the engine, removed the front factory fan and fitted the test fan (still not working) to behind the radiator.. which I had not asked them to do as I had only supplied the new fan as a tester.
In addition on my return home I found that the so called electrician, had removed the front factory fan by cutting the feed wire as it was too much trouble to remove steel support to lift it out in one piece, also the front plastic fan shroud had not been refitted as it was in the boot and, the nuts that retained the fan were missing. Also the screws that retained the fuse box cover had been removed and were not refitted and all the underside trims were loose because the retainer nuts and screws were missing.

Needless to say I returned to this so called Bimmer shop and gave them a piece of my mind and received a fair portion of my payment back..

So it was back to my own devices and testing.
It was about this time that I found a spare laptop and installed IMPA , I sat around for a week or so learning about IMPA and how it worked before venturing out and hooking it up. I immediately read all the codes and cleared them, then checked the actuation of the A/C compressor clutch and heard it click in, wow great start.
I then started the car , hit the auto A/C button and low and behold the A/C compressor kicked in .

I still had not heard the electric fan go thru its test on engine start, so was very surprised to hear it come on when the engine reached just above the middle on the temp gauge...

So to my thinking.... you have to clear the error codes to make things work ... am I correct?

Now I am leaning towards clearing all the adaptation codes as I read /heard that that is what should happen at every service... I would like your opinions on this please.

In closing this missive, I would like to thank the many here who contribute their information to assist us fanatics.
Thank you all
John.m (Australia)

·
Administrator
20,239 Posts
I never let anyone work on my cars except for tires, alignment, AC. I thoroughly vet them and watch them while they work.
You chose a shoddy shop, it seems. Best to just DIY and take advantage of all this website has to offer.

·
Registered
2003 E46 320Ci
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never let anyone work on my cars except for tires, alignment, AC. I thoroughly vet them and watch them while they work.
You chose a shoddy shop, it seems. Best to just DIY and take advantage of all this website has to offer.
Bali, yes I did , and lesson learnt. No one will work on your Bimmer with the care and dedication that you yourself will.

·
Registered
2003 E46 320Ci
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was your neighbor I’d work on it for just free beer. (y)
You Sir, would be most welcome as Bimmer enthusiasts are a bit thin on the ground here in this country town. I don't mind doing my own work, in fact I prefer it, but the knowledge I need is a bit hard to come by.
Kindest regards ,
John in Australia.
Photo; overhauling the A/C in progress.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Floor Automotive exterior

1 - 7 of 7 Posts