BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with HID/projector headlights, but I noticed that the inside lights never turn on. Are they just unused when the car is equipped with a HID headlight system?

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
those are DRL (daytime running lights)... you have to take it to the dealer to have them turn it off... not a big hassle by any means but they may charge you to do so

·
Registered
256 Posts
My car came with HID/projector headlights, but I noticed that the inside lights never turn on. Are they just unused when the car is equipped with a HID headlight system?

They are used for high beam. And if you have the Daytime Running Light option turned on then they will always light up (altho at lower power).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even on high beam they do not turn on -- the outside lights just tilt up.
I'm OK without the DRLs. Just curious what they were for.

·
Registered
680 Posts
they dont tilt up..the mechanism is such that there are shutters present inside the projectors in the headlights, that cut off the lights up to a certain height so you dont blind ppl. Henc if u point the lights at a garage door, u see a clear cut off aregion.

When u turn the high beams on, basically all u do is remove the shutters and you can see the full intesity of the xenon bulb all out.

This is why they are called Bi-Xenon headlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvxUWYKA3_Y

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Even on high beam they do not turn on -- the outside lights just tilt up.
I'm OK without the DRLs. Just curious what they were for.
You have to pull the stick lol I can't think of what its called, the turn signal wand for them to turn on. Like to flash at people like Nick said. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts