BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I need to raise my rear.
I'm experiencing alot of rubbing. I have 255/35/19,and yes I have already done hardcore fender rolling.

Does anyone have any info on spring spacers/stoppers?
Any experience with them?
Where to find them? How to install?How much?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running OEM 19"M3 rims. I've posted before but no replies.
I've already cut the inner fender.
I also have gotten a shop to shave the back hub of the rim a little.

I dont care if these spacers make my car a 4x4. And no I dont want to buy coilovers since they will lower my car. Plus I cant afford them.
I just gotta make this rubbing stop!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed those rubber spring spacers. I found them for $5 a pair at Pepboys. LOL. This lifted my rear 1" inch and everything is fine now =).
I know this is not a good solution,but I am very happy that the rubbing is gone. I heard from someone you can buy thicker OEM spring pads. These are like rubber washers that sit under the spring. This might be a safer solution.

Other than that everything is a OK!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use Spring Spacers instead!!

Actually I got a better solution for the rubbing problem now. I bought thicker spring pads for my rears. These are like washers that lie between the the spring and the bottom bolt. Using rubber stoppers was not the best solution since it would rip or pop out within 2months.

The thickest spring pad is 14mm thick. I used it and it worked great.

Here are the part numbers

5mm # 33 53 1 136 385
7.5mm # 33 53 1 136 386
9mm # 33 53 1 127 224
10mm # 33 53 1 136 387
14.5 mm#33 53 1 094 754

The rear spring pads are simple to install. You will need to jack your car up on the side you want to change. Put the car on jack stands. Use a 14MM bolt (I believe) to take off the shock. The shock will release and the the wishbone will decompress. Take the spring out and the spring pad too. Put the new spring pad in to the top of the spring and place it in the wishbone. Then, take another jack and place it under the brake disk. Jack the suspension up until you can reattach the shock. Make sure you tighten it. Put on the wheel and take the car off of the jack stands. YOu need two good jacks for this operation.

Reactions: Algiers15

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steel Blue said:
Did it work?
Yes, this solution works.

Dont forget to roll or shave your fenders.

Cut the clip behind the fender well (do a search). :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
try a 245/35/19 to cut down on the rubbing. You are in for a tough time, as the ET25 is way to agressive of an offset for the CI's bodywork.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steel Blue said:
According to the dealer some of the parts listed above are for teh E30 and E36. Is anyone using something thicker than 5mm?
Just to let you know i'm using the 14.5mm ones.
I have an extra pair of them for sale if you want. $20.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re-open discussion

Can you use springs pads for the reverse effect, using a thinner pad to lower height? What is the thickness of the stock pad?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
customdusty said:
Can you use springs pads for the reverse effect, using a thinner pad to lower height? What is the thickness of the stock pad?
Nope, the stock pads are usually the 5mm thickness which is the thinnest pad available from BMW. They only go up from there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Steel Blue said:
According to the dealer some of the parts listed above are for teh E30 and E36. Is anyone using something thicker than 5mm?
I'm using the 10mm pads in my E46, all of the sizes are available for our cars also, don't worry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running OEM 19"M3 rims. I've posted before but no replies.
I've already cut the inner fender.
I also have gotten a shop to shave the back hub of the rim a little.

I dont care if these spacers make my car a 4x4. And no I dont want to buy coilovers since they will lower my car. Plus I cant afford them.
I just gotta make this rubbing stop!!
10mm or 14mm springs pads works

1 - 20 of 24 Posts