E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you buy?

Infinity Kappa 6.5" component - $200.00

Infinity reference 6.5" component - $114.00 (Reference is last years model, there has been a model change & the new one is $200)

Diamond Audio Motorsport 6 (M661) - $200

I am looking for sound quality & also performance per dollar. (i.e. if speaker A is 10% better than speaker B, but speaker A is 40% more $$$, then speaker B is better for me.)

The speakers will be getting 80 watts RMS from my PPI amp.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
328 Posts
For speakers the diamonds are probably better however, i have heard that they have problems with the tweeter blowing. Don't know if they fixed that yet but it has been their weakness. Also, diamonds come with either soft dome or i think titanium tweets....i find anything thats not silk is too harsh. But thats just my opinion. Ilike smooth sound. This is the reason I don't like MB Quarts.

I am prob. gonna get Infinity Ref. myself. They have a silk dome and decent power hadling. I have a PPI giving 50rms and they perform fine. 80 could be a bit much.

The Kappas would be good and can prob handle the 80 watts BUT i have heard they can be bright also...Although not as bright as MB Quarts.

If I were you I would get either JL VR,XR or Boston Acoustic Pro's.
If those are too $$$ then Infinity REF. IMO

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean, I hear lots of good things about Diamond Audio, but that was the M5 series. I hear the M6 series is not as good. But I can get the Kappas for a little less than the M6's, which make it more appealing since I hear they are both excellent. I have heard the same thing about the the referece series being a favorite for people who do not like bright sound... right now Im leaning toward Kappas.

I havent heard Diamonds, and there is no dealer around here, which also scares me because no dealers = harder to get service.

pimpinCI said:
For speakers the diamonds are probably better however, i have heard that they have problems with the tweeter blowing. Don't know if they fixed that yet but it has been their weakness. Also, diamonds come with either soft dome or i think titanium tweets....i find anything thats not silk is too harsh. But thats just my opinion. Ilike smooth sound. This is the reason I don't like MB Quarts.

I am prob. gonna get Infinity Ref. myself. They have a silk dome and decent power hadling. I have a PPI giving 50rms and they perform fine. 80 could be a bit much.

The Kappas would be good and can prob handle the 80 watts BUT i have heard they can be bright also...Although not as bright as MB Quarts.

If I were you I would get either JL VR,XR or Boston Acoustic Pro's.
If those are too $$$ then Infinity REF. IMO

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yea that is one of the major problems with diamond....no dealer! I seriously think you will be happy with the Infinitys however, remember when you are auditioning speakers that:

1) You are in a BIG room where sound dissapates and it will sound MUCH louder in your car.
2) The speakers are in an enclosed box of some type and they sound a little dif. in your car.

My friends Quarts sounded great in the auditioning room but once in the car they were extremely bright and lacking mid bass.

From my experience the ref. would save you the most money and give u the biggest bang for the buck. The sound will be great in your car. THe kappas are also good but since the tweeter is brighter i would approach with caustion. remembet that these BMW's have pretty bad imaging and the tweeter is near your head.

JL's sound very nice too...just a though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would go for the Diamond Audio speakers... these are simply unbelievable... especially the HEX series, but the M6 series is good too... over here in england, the M6 5 1/4" retail for around £350-400 which is about $550 USD. Now, the HEX series won best speaker for last two years running... but you really need a good amp to get the best from them....

I need an amp - diamond audio - can anyone help me?? - I want a D5 300.2 for now.... and I know in the USA they are much cheeper.. so can anyone recommend a dealer to call who I can pay by credit card and then they ship them over for me?

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like a little bit brighter sound, I think Im set on the kappas unless anyone can talk me out of it. I cant justify spending $550 on speakers for my car. I already have a hard time with $200.

Do you think the Hex's are $350.00 better than the Kappas?

·
Registered
180 Posts
see if you can get hold of DLS speakers... they are very good.. a little brighter than the Diamonds - very smoooooth mids... In England, they are available... dunno about america.. check their website... www.dls.se

I have the top Referance series in my 1999 sedan and they are extreamly good, but I need an amp to get the best out of them.... am looking into a Diamond Audio amp. In My opinion, the Diamond HEX series are 'the' best speaker I have heard, followed by a/d/s and DLS speakers...

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill check out the DLS, thanks!

Have you heard the Kappas before? I am torn between reference & kappas, but I am leaning towards the kappas right now. I found em for $165.

Tesh323 said:
see if you can get hold of DLS speakers... they are very good.. a little brighter than the Diamonds - very smoooooth mids... In England, they are available... dunno about america.. check their website... www.dls.se

I have the top Referance series in my 1999 sedan and they are extreamly good, but I need an amp to get the best out of them.... am looking into a Diamond Audio amp. In My opinion, the Diamond HEX series are 'the' best speaker I have heard, followed by a/d/s and DLS speakers...

·
pinoyfanatic
4,120 Posts
I'm running 6.5" HEX for the fronts. They sound awesome. The tweeter was a little harsh but can be adjusted in the crossover. :thumbup: Tuned them down to -2db...they're perfect!

You can get HEX for about $350...just got to look. I'll post a link if I can find it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have seen many us websites with Diamond HEX available really cheep.... especially compared to UK prices...

www.try onlinecarstereo.com

they have the S500s for like 300 USD ---- if you prefer brighter sounds, go for the S500a -

a = aliminium tweeter
s = silk tweeter

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
556 Posts
Diamond fans! Woohooo!!!

Well, the shop that did my install is one of the oldest/largest dealers of Diamond in the south. I used to have the older M5's in my old toyota, but I sold the car with the speakers and all. So, I am now running the M6's in my car with the CM3 woofers. I can tell a slight raise in quality between the M6's and the M5's. Physically the two midbass drivers are nearly identical. The M6's are some of the best speakers I've ever heard, and I've been nothing but happy with them. I'm also running D5 amplifiers, which are superb! However, I recommend the Class D mono amplifiers if you want to run subs off of them. Get the Diamond and you can't go wrong. I would have gotten the HEX speakers, but I'm a little too cheap for that.

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard the Kappas today. Pretty darn bright, compared to Boston RC's. Couldnt compare to Diamond because there are no diamond dealers... =(

I think that I have to eliminate diamond because there is no dealers here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I will continue to say that for the price i doubt you can beat the Infinity ref. 605cs. On ebay they are extremely affordable. I think they are like $100 - 125 for the components!!! And those kappas u tested were in a room not in you car....which is smaller=brighter.

Are better speakers out there? Yes....is it worth it to spend more? Prob. not, unless you are going ot compete in SQ competions.

If you want better sound and keep the smoothness and clarity you also might want to look at the DEI Studio series. They are like 230 shipped. Do a google search.

For the price though, the infinity ref. 605cs
That's what I am getting for sure. I can get reference series for the WHOLE car for under $200 on ebay. Thats components in the front and coax in the rears. And you won't have a harsh sounding or overly bright tweeter.

Hope this helps.

·
yo mama
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pimpinCI said:
Here are some links....no i do not work for this guy nor am I him. This is merely a link to help you out in finding cheap and reliable prices/products.

NEW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3008729321&category=18800

USED
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3008712196&category=32819
I am afraid to go with the ref. series since I have not heard them. I like the bright sound of the Kappas that I heard today.
Looks like I can get the front & rears for $250.00, both of them Kappa series! Good buy right?

Look here for good deals: http://www.ikesound.com
(im not affiliated)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.