BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Costco is selling a steel hydraulic floor jack that is made by Arcan, model: XL325R for $99.99.

This jack is long enough and low enough to jack my E46 Coupe from the rear center sub-frame located just forward of the differential. It is also long enough and low enough to jack the front at the center, round, sub-frame jack point located under the engine. No need to drive up on boards before jacking.

Lifts to 21 3/8" so it works for my SUV too.

I mention this because before I bought this jack I did some research that pointed me to jacks costing around $300.00. They were the blue colored AC DK13HLQ, the black colored OMEGA #29023 and the red colored ATD 7325 2.

The Arcan XL325R I bought worked perfectly for a third of the price of these units.

FYI.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Harbor Freight 2.5 ton jack capable of jacking an unmodified E46 from the center rear sub-frame located just in front of the differential?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would assume almost and jack can jack from that piont; both of mine can and they were less than $50. If the handle is too long then just make yourself a shorter handle to get it up high enough for the one that came with the jack.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I have the harbor freight jack. Love it. Can't reach the jack point on the M3, though. Stock suspension.

·
Registered
790 Posts
FYI Costco has discountinued the 325XL. Some stores still have it. I've found out they are replacing it with a 2.5 ton which will be lighter, around 60 pounds, combo of steel and aluminum. Same price. Probably effectively the same as the HF 2.5 tonner.

I was thinking of waiting (the costco comes in mid Sept) but will probably get the HF this weekend. Only major benefit of Costco is the return policy (which is a major benefit). But the HF is like 70 or 75 w/ coupon vs 99, and the other benefit is I don't have to wait 6 weeks.

I know this is probably a sticky somewhere and I will search, but on my XI I am looking for the front jack point and I see a round hole in the plastic belly pan. Looking up into that hole is a round bar with a hole in it. Is that it? I assume the hole is where some sort of rubber pad used to sit before it fell off/was stolen by mechanic/other?

If the answer to the above is YES, then can I just put a piece of 2x4 or a hockey puck or something onto the top of my jack and just go into that hole? Or do I need to buy a jack pad and reinstall in there?

·
Registered
2020 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Platinum; 2019 Camry XSE; 2010 Infiniti G37S
9,515 Posts
Costco is selling a steel hydraulic floor jack that is made by Arcan, model: XL325R for $99.99.

This jack is long enough and low enough to jack my E46 Coupe from the rear center sub-frame located just forward of the differential. It is also long enough and low enough to jack the front at the center, round, sub-frame jack point located under the engine. No need to drive up on boards before jacking.

Lifts to 21 3/8" so it works for my SUV too.

I mention this because before I bought this jack I did some research that pointed me to jacks costing around $300.00. They were the blue colored AC DK13HLQ, the black colored OMEGA #29023 and the red colored ATD 7325 2.

The Arcan XL325R I bought worked perfectly for a third of the price of these units.

FYI.
Excellent jack. I use it on my car, as well as our 5,700 lb. Sequoia.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the HF jack, but I can't lift the front end higher than the first point on the jack stand when I lift from the center jack point on the subframe...

So I just use the HF jack for the rear and I have a roush racing heavy duty jack for the front.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I bought the costco jack after being dissatisfied with the jack I bought at Sears. Couldn't be happier with it, gets to all the jackpoints I need, and lifts the car with no issue.

Heavy as hell though.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
always nice to hear of a good floor jack on sale.

although I have both the low profile HF jack and my trusty heavy duty SnapOn so I'm covered. one new feature I've seen I kinda wish I had was that LED light in the jack pad. :dunno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
First thing i purchased when i joined costco this year was that 3.25 ton low profile jack. Damn, I find myself jacking up that bmw a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts