BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
ANSWER: The H7 fits the convertible, while the larger H8 fits the coupe and sedan.

I've got a 2000 323ci convertible with a manual top. I almost never drive this thing, and lately the battery keeps dying when it sits. I've taken it out and had it charged at my local Autozone and they keep saying it's fine. The other day it died on me while I was sitting in the car fro about 20 mins with the radio on and the fan blowing fresh air. The AAA guy showed up with one of those Li-Ion jumper packs and it started right up. I drove it home, about 4 miles, then the next day it wouldn't start. I ordered an 800 amp jumper packs but it was useless. So now I'm looking to buy a new battery but why are the aftermarket options so expensive now? A while back eveyone was raving about the DL-49 for $80 from Autozone, but they no longer have them, only a $180 battery or a $220 option. What happened?

This damn car will be old enough to drink in a month or so, like I said, I rarely drive it and don't want to waste money on it, what are my options for the least expensive battery in November of 2020?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Last year I replaced the alternator when it died, I'd assume if the new alternator wasn't charging I'd get a code or an idiot light or something.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hold the phone. How old is your battery? Have you checked voltage at rest and with engine running? Are terminals clean?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Which model Walmart or HomeDepot batteries? Do you happen to know

Terminals are clean. The battery is about 6 years old, so it's up there. I haven't tested the voltage. This is a convertible, are you sure that's an H8 and not a H7?

I've put maaaybe 6k miles on this thing in the past 4 years. The other 99% of the time I either ride my bike or my motorcycle, but with the weather turning, I need the car.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
561 Posts
Which model Walmart or HomeDepot batteries? Do you happen to know

Terminals are clean. The battery is about 6 years old, so it's up there. I haven't tested the voltage.

I've put maaaybe 6k miles on this thing in the past 4 years. The other 99% of the time I either ride my bike or my motorcycle, but with the weather turning, of course now I need the car. Unfortunately I've spent a lot of money on other necessities lately, and thanks to the pandemic, I haven't worked in months, so I really need something inexpensive. And let's not forget Christmas is a little more than a month away. ...One thing's for sure, I'll be glad when 2020 is over.
Wal-Mart or a home depot has 130 bucks for less expensive option. 3 yr warranty.H8 .
I put everlast on my daughters e46 last year.Its been good to her.
Put your car on a tender if its used sparingly.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
561 Posts
Everlast at Wal-Mart .Bosch at home depot.Check their web for the H8 sizes and or size 49.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you guys sure about the H8? This is a convertible. I've seen other comments that the convertibles require an H7 and when I looked up a battery at Costco, for my year, make, model, etc. it came up with an H7.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
561 Posts
Sorry its Exide at home depot.Costco doesn't carry a lot of the sizes.But you may be right with H7 .Go with what is recommended.Our sedans and touring might be different from convertibles.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Are you guys sure about the H8? This is a convertible. I've seen other comments that the convertibles require an H7 and when I looked up a battery at Costco, for my year, make, model, etc. it came up with an H7.
Sorry its Exide at home depot.Costco doesn't carry a lot of the sizes.But you may be right with H7 .Go with what is recommended.Our sedans and touring might be different from convertibles.
If the battery is in the same location, which I'm pretty sure it is. An H8 will fit, Costco will also spec an H7 for coupes and sedans. It always says they don't fit but they do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the battery is in the same location, which I'm pretty sure it is. An H8 will fit, Costco will also spec an H7 for coupes and sedans. It always says they don't fit but they do.
Are you basing that off of first hand experience, or something you've read? Because I'm in the middle of reading an old thread that says the verts had a different design, to minimize chassis flex without the roof, and so the space available is smaller.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
561 Posts
Are you basing that off of first hand experience, or something you've read? Because I'm in the middle of reading an old thread that says the verts had a different design, to minimize chassis flex without the roof, and so the space available is smaller.

Well it looks like the Verts can only fit the smaller group 94 .so go with that to be sure.ours can fit a group 94 but with bigger CCA and a RC of a grp 49 .we opted for that instead .
With the spacers off the 49 will fit sedan coupe and touring. vert s? Looks like you can't fit a 49 in there.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I believe it is H7. I seem to recall hauling an H8 back to costco to exchange.
OK, Six years old is definitely suspect. But worth confirming your alternator output with voltmeter. Previous posters spoke of sales at big box parts stores, or Walmart offerings. Canadian choices are different, but I did have success with Walmart for one. I find interstate expensive. Last time I looked US Costco was expensive. Dont forget to reset your windows.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reset the windows??

BTW, I've found this one at Home Depot. It's an Excide with a 3 year replacement warranty, 800CCA, H7 form factor, and it's $129; so it's also the best deal I've found so far.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Reset the windows??

BTW, I've found this one at Home Depot. It's an Excide with a 3 year replacement warranty, 800CCA, H7 form factor, and it's $129; so it's also the best deal I've found so far.

If the door window doesnt drop 1/4", run all windows full down and up a few cycles.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
561 Posts
Afaik- there are 3 companies that makes batteries in the USA .One of them- 1.Johnson Controls manufactures wally mart Duralast, 2.Exide and 3.East Penn batteries - so your getting the same battery pretty much just depends on which brands your getting .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve got my last few from Oreillys. The e46 takes the 48ext it was like 120 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I called a tow truck for a jump, when he arrived, the battery was so flat the car wouldn't even start with jumper cables on the under hood posts. That's when I noticed the lights were left on... Yes I know... The tow truck driver then added the little jumper pack directly to the battery and she started right up. I drove around for about 45 mins, then using the built in onboard diagnostics, I checked the battery and charging output. Battery was 12.1 volts and charging was flickering between 13.9 and 14 volts, even with the AC and radio on.

I drove for another 20 mins. Parked it, and the battery charge quickly dropped from 12.6 to 12.5,12.4, and settled at 12.1 volts. I went inside for about 25 mins, then went back out and it was still at 12.1 volts. It started right up and I drove around again for another half hour. This time, with the AC and radio on, it stayed at a steady 14 volts. When I turned on the lights too it dropped to a steady 13.8 volts.

I stopped to do some shopping for about 15 mins. When I got back in it started right up. I then drove home about 10 mins away, and when I shut the car off, the battery was at a steady 12.5 volts without dropping this time.

It may be the problem is the nut behind the wheel. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Home Depot Exide can be good buys...HOWEVER check the manufacturing date (and dust) on the batteries there. I recently went to sx Home Depots looking for an H8 and several people who work at Home Depot said they hadn't seen the Exide guy who stocks the batteries in months.

When I finally found an H8 at Home Depot it was a year old.... So I passed and went to Walmart where the Ever-Start H8 was brand new. I have had several Wal Mart H8 batteries and have been happy with them.

I bought an X5 (E53) a year or so ago with a Duralast H8 AGM battery dated December 2016...It just died...4 years . I don't think AGM batteries are all that great in our cars and don't feel like paying up for an AGM.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Afaik- there are 3 companies that makes batteries in the USA .One of them- 1.Johnson Controls manufactures wally mart Duralast, 2.Exide and 3.East Penn batteries - so your getting the same battery pretty much just depends on which brands your getting .
I wonder if that is why Consumer reports reviews show different brands being superior in different sizes when you might expect some consistency in "superior" from size to size. Like TVs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts