BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My indy mechanic, whom I trust implicitly, noticed that I had green coolant in my system. He said I shouldn't use that *%$# and should only use BMW coolant. He says that the engine can tell the difference and that's one of the reasons why my thermostat went bad.

I told him it must have been done by the previous owner as I haven't had anything done to the cooling system since I got the car in Aug. of '09. So, just thought I'd pass along these words of wisdom to anyone who is interested, don't use that green @#$%.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am not sure it is as dramatic as that, however I did hear from many authoritative sources that BMW's coolant seems to be far gentler on the seals within the engine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was wondering what the difference was :dunno: I got a ECS coolant kit which came with a gallon of BMW coolant when I refreshed my system. I couldn't believe how much heavier it was than that green stuff. It definitely has more solids than that other stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said as soon as he discovered it he promptly drained the green @!#$ and replaced it with BMW coolant... and didn't even charge me for it. He said in good conscience he couldn't allow my car to have that green @!#$ in it.

Now that's a BMW mechanic that cares!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with the green coolant itself, but I have heard that it is the mixing with OEM blue that causes problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said it wreaks havoc with the engine block and can lead to blown gaskets, electrolysis and "just generally @!#$ up the engine" (I love my tech's colorful language). And he did blame my thermostat problem on the coolant, so maybe that's proof positive right there. Anyway, no more green $#@! for my baby.

·
Registered
566 Posts
1st off, let's agree that "green one" isn't this ONE special type. There are a ton of companies making this stuff. I've seen them anywhere from dark green, to virtually colorless to orange. Engines for most part have very similar internals and materials used so green isn't going to destroy your system, it certainly could shorten it's life a bit. Have green? switch it to blue.. go back to the bar, order a drink and relax.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL. Hey, I'm just quoting my tech. What can I say, the guy is passionate about his work. Almost gave me a freaking tongue lashing because I had green #@%$ in the cooling system, like I'm supposed to know that?!!! Seriously, he made me feel like he caught me getting away with engine abuse or something. I'm just glad I've got a tech who cares that much. I suspect 90% of the folks out there wouldn't have given a damn.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow!

That was some colorful, nasty language he used on you!:ben:

You spelled it out 7 times in 5 different spellings!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
as long as you don't mix green and blue coolant, you'll be fine. And when you "weighed" the green vs the blue, were you weighing diluted vs concentrate? that would make a huge difference.

Is green coolant going to doom your engine? Most likely not. I ran it for about 50,000 miles in my car with no issues. I've run green coolant in other aluminum motors as well.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
as long as you don't mix green and blue coolant, you'll be fine. And when you "weighed" the green vs the blue, were you weighing diluted vs concentrate? that would make a huge difference.

Is green coolant going to doom your engine? Most likely not. I ran it for about 50,000 miles in my car with no issues. I've run green coolant in other aluminum motors as well.
coolant is coolant BUT, there are some differences in composition and additives which as we have gotten exotic with our engines and the metals we use it becomes critical to get it right, but it will DOOM your engine if your using the wrong stuff. I have orange in my car right now, which i know isnt ideal, but its what the dealer put in (and will be changing in the spring as part of a complete over haul), but Zerex G-05 is Green IIRC and thats on the approved list. I always remind people that BMW doesnt have a special factory for its fluids, they are 9/10 using something supplied by someone else. People seem to think its g-48 zerex which is impossible to find. Who knows. the other 99% of the population doesnt read web boards and they are fine, running god only knows what the dealer puts in. The thermostat failed because its somewhat poorly designed, and in your high heat environment probably over heated and broke down early.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
there are a few differences from green to BMW. notably, BMW coolant is a variation of xerex G-05 known as G-48. The G-line is a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) which has the following benefits according to valvoline, makers of xerex:

• Protection for up to 5 years / 150,000 miles
  • Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.
  • Utilizes hybrid organic acid technology to minimize inhibitor depletion
  • Low-silicate, low-pH and phosphate-free formula
  • Provides protection against liner pitting and corrosion
  • Helps prevent rust and corrosion
  • Helps prevent hot weather boil-overs and cold weather freeze-ups
  • Protects all cooling system metals, including aluminum

There are other benefits including greater lubricity and less cavitation than standard green. I think it is the best choice for our cars including the block, seals, thermostat, etc, so your mechanic did the right thing.

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/downloads/ZerexAntifreezeLineupChart.pdf

·
Registered
566 Posts
Speaking of pH, single most important thing to watch for in the coolant is pH. You can use the pH strip to determine the balance in your fluid, typically you want to see it in the 9 range. Distilled water is ~7 and umixed coolant is typically ~10. Anything below 7-8 is becoming too acidic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm still wondering what fool buys any pre-mixed coolant. That was a stroke of marketing genius at any rate.
I did once, in a pinch after reattaching the water-pump on a stranded car.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Blue = Good

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
at least he did u the favor of doing it for free lol
Hey, I didn't ask him to do it and he couldn't charge me for something I didn't authorize. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that he cared enough to take the time to do it. I rest easier knowing the guy wants to do right by the car even if he doesn't get paid for it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts