BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A list of important threads containing a wealth of information every E46 owner should know, especially if you're new to the car or this forum.

E46 Wiki
BMW E46 - BimmerWiki
by bimmerfest

E46 FAQ
https://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php
by Kris Linquist

Abbreviations and Acronyms
BMW Abbreviations, Acronyms | BMW Sections
by Peter Jonas

RealOEM - Part Number Lookup
RealOEM.com - Select Your BMW Model
realoem

Technical Information System (TIS)
Car selection
by BMW AG

Torque Specs
The Ultimate e46 M54 Torque Specs Thread:
by Gatriel

Maintenance Schedule
A NEW maintenance schedule for our OLD cars
by Archbid

DME Trouble Codes
BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes
by BMWFaultCodes

OBD Trouble Codes
OBD-Codes.com the leading OBD-II trouble code resource site
by OBD-Codes

E46 No Start Guide - list of possible causes
E46 NO START – list of possible causes
by lszlszx

Cold weather misfires and CEL, common issues $50 fix!
Cold weather misfires and CEL, common issues $50 fix!
by jfoj

How to Smoke Test
How to Smoke Test
by BaliDawg

Top 10 E46 Failures
Top 10 E46 Failures - Parts you MUST replace (Mango...
by Mango

Intake Refresh Guide
by Archbid

Suspension Refresh Guide
Suspension Refresh Guide. Information w/ complete parts...
by Mango

Cooling System Guide - overheating/coolant/etc
E46 COOLING SYSTEM GUIDE - overheating/coolant/etc
Mango's BMW E46 Definitive Cooling System DIY Replacement Guide
by Mango

Common oil/coolant/fluid leaks
**The E46 common oil/coolant/fluid leaks w/ pics and...
by 330ciandr6

M54 Performance Guide
OFFICIAL: Guide to Horsepower Gaining Mods (Sorted by...
by SPDSKTR

Leak/Issue/Performance/Buyer Starter Guide
E46 Fanatics Leak/Issue/Performance/Buyer Starter Guide
by YoitsTmac

OBD Fusion
OBD Fusion
by BaliDawg

How to Install BMW Scanner 1.4
PA SOFT 1.4 Windows 7 64bit BMW Scanner How to install...
by NumbaOneNewb

BMW Scanner 1.4 for Dummies
PA Soft 1.4 for Dummies
by nallman

BMW Scanner 1.4 Settings
Kmoy2002 - BMW Diagnostic Scanner PA Soft 1.4 Settings
by Kmoy2002

How to Install BMW Standard Tools
How to Install BMW Standard Tools
by BaliDawg

Need a DME or EGS flash update?
Need a DME or EGS flash update?
by BaliDawg

Lighting Troubleshooting Guide
Sillieidiot’s Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
by sillieidiot

Electric Fan Guide
by BMW-North

Coding ABS Donor Module & Steering Angle Calibration
e46 Bosch DSC 5.7 replacement and coding ABS Module
by BMW-North

Official Oil List: LL-01
Official MOTOR OIL LIST
by BaliDawg

Official ATF list: GM and ZF
Official ATF list: GM and ZF
by BaliDawg

Note: some of these threads were formerly individual READ ME sticky threads. As the list grew longer it was moved here. We've also added very popular threads and external links.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting, should probably pin this and make it an index to the readme's and great threads on most common issues..
That's the plan. That way it can grow without taking up all the space at the top of the thread list. Tim will review it first.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Great idea to de-clutter things. :thumbup:

I would add jfof's fuel pump and vacuum leak threads to this list.
I second that. :thumbsup:

I appreciate other Fanatics efforts to create these threads. This whole forum has such a wealth of information, but after not being on the forums for a couple weeks and looking at all the stickies... it looks like there's twice as many now, lol.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I don't have the time, but I once hypothesized creating like a chain of links to posts. Ex, opening of thread would have categories like: transmission links, common codes, performance mods, etc. Then clicking on one of those would link you to a post with a bunch of relevant threads to that category. Does that make sense? I made a thread similar to this and it didn't stay up too long, but probably because it had too many links. I spent hours compiling it. If someone sees the vision or if OP things some of the links are important, the thread is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1118275&highlight=

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the time, but I once hypothesized creating like a chain of links to posts. Ex, opening of thread would have categories like: transmission links, common codes, performance mods, etc. Then clicking on one of those would link you to a post with a bunch of relevant threads to that category. Does that make sense?

I made a thread similar to this and it didn't stay up too long, but probably because it had too many links. I spent hours compiling it. If someone sees the vision or if OP things some of the links are important, the thread is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1118275&highlight=
It’s a good idea but would probably require too much work to set up and maintain. And searching is probably faster than navigating down a tree of threads.

Your thread is already #6 in the list above.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It’s a good idea but would probably require too much work to set up and maintain. And searching is probably faster than navigating down a tree of threads.

Your thread is already #6 in the list above.
my bad :D. Yeah, it'd be a lot of setup time. If it was editable by anyone though...big potential. Nice condensing done here. I like how clean and simple it is :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
BavAuto.com has 3 part video on how to diagnose issues with the E46. Especially with the suspension in the Part 2 video.
As new members, with older cars that haven't been kept up and no history, come on board, these offer a quick reference to help them (and me) rule out or diagnose the issue.

Published on Feb 1, 2013
PART 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItmUGIZD-Uw Under the Hood

PART 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mdN7lXFXY Under the Car Front

PART 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98uTB65Tw0 Under the Car Rear

BLOG ARTICLE: http://blog.bavauto.com/go/inspection

In this three part video series Otto will show you how to inspect your BMW or MINI for areas of wear in the mechanical and safety systems and hardware. Come on along as we go through a typical pre-spring vehicle inspection. Note that while these procedures are shown on a typical BMW, they can also be applied to the MINI models. A MINI will look different and the service points may be in different locations but, the basic points and procedures are the same.

Download Otto's Ultimate Maintenance Schedule for your BMW or MINI model at: http://www.blog.bavauto.com/go/mainte...

---

Part one - Underhood inspection points -
In Part 1 of this video we will inspect the underhood service points on a typical BMW (and MINI).

Inspect the cabin air micro filter (microfilter) for debris or dark coloring. Replace the filter if dirty. Inspect the brake fluid by noting the fluid level through the translucent fluid reservoir. The fluid should be between the FULL and ADD marks. Remove the cap and check the color and clarity of the fluid. The fluid should be clean, clear and bright yellow or blue (depending on fluid type, such as ATE Super Blue). Pull the engine oil dip stick and check the condition of the motor oil. The oil should be light to dark honey colored and be translucent (you should be able to see through it, on the dipstick). Inspect the power steering fluid in a similar manner to the engine oil. It should be clear and bright red or light honey colored. The fluid level should be between the Add and Full marks on the cap's dip stick. Check the engine coolant (antifreeze). The coolant should be clear and bright (blue, if BMW or green, orange or yellow for most other brands). the fluid level should be within a couple inches of the top of the filler neck or the pop-up fluid level indicator should be indicating between FULL and ADD. Continue the inspection by checking for play in the water pump and fan clutch. Inspect the belts for cracking. Look for evidence of coolant or oil leaks and note where the source of the leaks is. Plan for repairs for any leaks (coolant hoses, expansion tank, radiator, valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing gaskets, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hallo BaliDawg
i am a new owner of a e46 330i in hong kong.
my car's electric fan just failed and i found that the electric fan guide by BMW-north is helpful to me. however, the link is no longer available. i hope you could help me with it.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hallo BaliDawg
i am a new owner of a e46 330i in hong kong.
my car's electric fan just failed and i found that the electric fan guide by BMW-north is helpful to me. however, the link is no longer available. i hope you could help me with it.
I fixed the link for the electric fan guide a while back. It works now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts