BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have this a few months but have just lowered on Eibach sportlines (Saturday morning in the wet on the driveway!) and whacked on the widest set of alloys I could get while keeping the standard tyres 225/40/18 255/35/18 until deciding on a more permanent set up, hope you like. Tyres just rub over a speed bump with 3 in the back so for everyday use its wide enough and low enough.

BE46N

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,258 Posts
Not feeling the M badges but whatever floats your boat.
Personally I'd get rid of the ///M badges, they look kinda cheesy.
+1 on these comments. M badges belong on dedicated M-models (with rare exceptions, the VIN starts with "WBS...") only.

Otherwise it looks great! Love Imola---the E46 color and the circuit! :D The right shot of your car would be calendar-worthy, IMO.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
+1 on these comments. M badges belong on dedicated M-models (with rare exceptions, the VIN starts with "WBS...") only.

Otherwise it looks great! Love Imola---the E46 color and the circuit! :D The right shot of your car would be calendar-worthy, IMO.
It's important to distinguish what "M badges" you are talking about.

Some notes:

Aftermarket "M" or ///M" badges do not belong on any car period.

Factory ///M or ///M3 badges do not belong on any place where the factory did not place themselves. Not on grills, not on odd spots on the car, etc. Even 1mm off in a factory location in is a no-no.

Factory ///M3 badges do not belong on any non-M car. A rare exception is when a quality M3 drivetrain swap is done.

///M badges can be on a non-M car if a factory ///M part is used such as M68 wheels, M3 steering wheel, ZHP control arms, ZHP shift knob. Note these are ///M badges and not ///M3 badges.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Some notes:

Factory ///M or ///M3 badges do not belong on any place where the factory did not place themselves. Not on grills, not on odd spots on the car, etc. Even 1mm off in a factory location in is a no-no.

Factory ///M3 badges do not belong on any non-M car. A rare exception is when a quality M3 drivetrain swap is done.

///M badges can be on a non-M car if a factory ///M part is used such as M68 wheels, M3 steering wheel, ZHP control arms, ZHP shift knob. Note these are ///M badges and not ///M3 badges.
Interesting this, this car is an M Sport model, here in europe, Ireland to be precise this is a factory model, M sport logo steering, gear knob, door sills, suspension, black headlining, increased red line rev counter etc and the badges straight from the factory .... Go figure

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Interesting this, this car is an M Sport model, here in europe, Ireland to be precise this is a factory model, M sport logo steering, gear knob, door sills, suspension, black headlining, increased red line rev counter etc and the badges straight from the factory .... Go figure
Those ///M badges in boot and hood are not from factory thats for sure, even in euro spec m-sport model.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See below for some discussion from an Irish forum. There are a lot of nice spec bmw's here with ///M badge and they're not all stuck on by sad owners. My car was previously owned by a mature gentleman who could afford a nice car from new, he certainly was not the type to stick on some badges, I doubt he even understood the significance !

"The M badge on the back of a BMW does not automatically mean that it is a full M3 or M5, what it means is that when it comes from BMW the owner has requested the motorsport pack which at its lowest is a body kit all the way up to lower suspension and a different gearbox. But alas there will be some sad people that will stick on a M badge when the car is neither."

"The ///M badge is usually put on by BMW. From my knowledge of dealers, they do not put one on unless someone pays them to. It is put on by BMW to indicate that the car has been modified from factory original using M-Tech parts.
The ///M badge (with no 3 or 5) *never* goes on an M3 or M5 unless the owner puts it on. All M3 & M5s produced get their own badge or if requested, none at all.
Fruthermore, it is not a motorsport pack - it is an M-Technik pack - it is not motorsport related in any way.
Also, the the best of my knowledge, ///M (M-Technik) does not supply different gearboxes. However, it may be possible to get an LSD."

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,258 Posts

Some notes:

Completely agree with this.

"The ///M badge is usually put on by BMW. From my knowledge of dealers, they do not put one on unless someone pays them to.
Dealer =/= BMW. Most dealers will install almost anything you want if you pay them accordingly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Completely agree with this.

Dealer =/= BMW. Most dealers will install almost anything you want if you pay them accordingly.
Lol, that is true but the quote I posted specifically made a distinction between BMW and the dealer.

I get the drift though, you guys don't much like these ///M badges, here in Ireland we just like to drive them and not worry too much about it ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah no worries! We're just giving you a hard time about it, and you're taking it in stride. Drive and enjoy! :thumbsup:
lol would take a lot more than a few statesiders with an unhealthy respect for all things ///M to put me off my corn flakes ;) :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts