BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am stuck at my inlaws house! YIKES! My 01 325i is having all these problems.
Here is the list so far:
My MAF has been a problem for a while. It would die at redlights, idle like crap, ect.. well I tried cleaning it and it didn't fix it. I purchased a used one for $90 and it was doing the same thing. My guess was the used one was just as faulty as mine. So much for saving money..$90 down the drain. So my solution? I unplugged it. Problem solved. It's been running fine for about 2 years that way. Just don't get as good gas milelage as I did. It also threw a code (p0102 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input) I'm guessing because it is unplugged.
Ok well now, after 2 years, I started getting this hesitation when I take off from a starting position, or when its changing gears (auto steptronic) like its flooding or something. The pedal vibrates and pulses almost like i can feel the cylinders flooding. It's bad. Going uphill is worse. The reason I think its flooding is because the oil smelled like gas. I changed it here at my inlaws, changed all the plugs, and the air filter. When I changed the oil, it was almost like water! It was so thin and smelled like pure gasoline! I live 2 hours from here, so I don't want to risk driving it and killing it. I would purchase the part I need, but have no idea what it is.
The Codes I am getting are these three:

P1112 Engine Coolant Temperature Radiator Outlet Sensor High Input

P0128 Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

p0102 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input
(Old code, pretty sure this one is ok.)

I know I need a thermostat replaced, but would that have anything to do with the hesitation and gas in my oil?
One more thing....I was trying to find a cracked vaccum line, and while doing so found the elbow in intake boot was cracked. Would that do anything major? Also the SUCKING JET PUMP broke when trying to move things around. It connects to the brake booster. It is a vaccum control of some sort i think. Would that mess with it too? I NEED SO MUCH HELP! :banghead:Oh yeah, and now my oil light comes on yellow, about 15-20 secs after being cranked. Checked the oil, all is fine. It just started last night on the light. Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
610 Posts
holy hell you shoulda fixed that 2 years ago..

im sorry i cant help with anything right now..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Damn that doesnt sound good, it probably got gas in the oil from running way to rich because of the MAF being unplugged, also sounds like your thermostat might be stuck open or closed.

Why did you think it was a good idea to run the car for 2 years with no MAF!:confused::slap:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would think first thing to do is fix your MAF, why wouldn't have fixed it in the past 2 years is beyond me..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Listen, thanks, I know I SHOULD have replaced all this $hit, but I had lost my job, and had quite a lot of bumps in my road since these problems started. I don't have much money now. I am just trying to find out what could be the immediate problem, and fix the others as the money is available. I know im a dip for not getting the MAF sensor but it was alot, and I spent $90 for nothing. Honestly, I don't even know if it IS bad. I don't know how to test. I love this site, but its hard to get an answer, or even find one on another post. I keep getting 14-15 year olds complaining about not getting an M3. Those threads get more views than ones like this one. What gives with that?
Sorry I'm having a hard time. Thanks for any direction anyone can give me.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Listen, thanks, I know I SHOULD have replaced all this $hit, but I had lost my job, and had quite a lot of bumps in my road since these problems started. I don't have much money now. I am just trying to find out what could be the immediate problem, and fix the others as the money is available. I know im a dip for not getting the MAF sensor but it was alot, and I spent $90 for nothing. Honestly, I don't even know if it IS bad. I don't know how to test. I love this site, but its hard to get an answer, or even find one on another post. I keep getting 14-15 year olds complaining about not getting an M3. Those threads get more views than ones like this one. What gives with that?
Understandable, but like I said now would be the time to fix the MAF, and there is obviously something wrong with your thermostat so I would replace that too. I don't think these are very expensive parts, but the thermostat isn't the easiest DIY if I recall. I think you took the right steps changing oil and replacing filters though, but get the other stuff fixed before you even try it, or you risk causing much more damage. Anything that you find cracked or broke while working on your engine you should replace. Sorry, but it sounds like your car is in pretty bad shape and you shouldn't let anything go this time around if you want it to last.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I concur, replace the MAF since that is the main issue then the thermostat. Coolant and temp probably exarcerbated by thermostat failure. Have it towed. If you only live close to me I will definitely abet you.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Its the MAF thats the problem because why else would your problem have gone away when you unplugged your MAF!:tsk: That would be the first thing I would fix!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Well see I'm getting a normal idle, and even when I drive slow its fine, just when I punch it, like if i were passing someone, or when I start from a stoplight. If I ease off the gas it seems to chill, but if I press it too much it starts being sort of jerky. I'm not real sure, but I am starting to have the feeling that the fuel pump is going out? It's been getting progressively worse. Over a two month period. Now, after seeing the oil like it was, I don't want it to continue to dump gas in the oil. However its getting in there. My guess is past the rings.
Is there a way to test the MAF sensor? I purchased one before, and it was the same,(used though) so its hard to say if maybe the sensor is ok, just something else going wrong. Thanks again everyone. My mission is to escape the outlaws...I mean in laws house. I'm stuck here until I find a solution.

·
Registered
21,838 Posts
if you had a cracked boot or ANY vacuum leak after the MAF then the car would run like crap - it sounds like the MAF was fine all along and you really have vacuum problems in the forms of cracked or broken intake boot and lines

·
Registered
11 Posts
were any of the spark plug boots dryrotted or cracked? mine was doing something similar, idle fine, usually perfect, but hard accel, sputter and carry on. finally one day it threw a code, found p0303. i had already changed the plugs, but the bottom of the boot on the inside had some cracks. replaced it and been fine since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
were any of the spark plug boots dryrotted or cracked? mine was doing something similar, idle fine, usually perfect, but hard accel, sputter and carry on. finally one day it threw a code, found p0303. i had already changed the plugs, but the bottom of the boot on the inside had some cracks. replaced it and been fine since.
Spark plug coilpacks were fine. Even the spark plugs didn't have gas on them like I was expecting. They were only about a year or so old, but they had a lot of black deposits on the points. It is certainly firing better,(bosch platinum's 4+)
Thanks for the advice, i'll check more thorough on the boots. It seems real hard to pinpoint, because even people with the same problems on the forum have found different solutions for each. :dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm still stranded. I've been driving my wifes car. Bought a fuel pump, and it didn't fix the problem. Tried the SeaFoam trick and runs better, but still hesitates. Fixed the MAF sensor, and vacumm Leaks. All runs better but still getting a hesitation in exceleration. It seams to be giving TOO much gas when excelerating. Any cause for that? Could I have a bad fuel filter? Or a stuck regulator?

·
Registered
123 Posts
the MAF senses the amount of air that comes past it so the vacuum leaks could be a problem. as far as the intake boot is concerned it all depends on whether or not its in front of the MAF. If the leak is in front of the MAF then it shouldnt matter as it still "sees" that air, its just unfiltered air going in. The vacuum leak could have really been affecting this all along if it is letting in too much air then your motor will be getting air that is uncompensated for with fuel causing it to run lean for a while and then the o2 sensors should bring your fuel regulator into line unless its pretty bad but when you unplugged your MAF your car has no idea how much air is coming in and will usually compensate by going rich (gets you home but runs like hell) If you left the sensor unplugged for 2 yrs there is a good possibility that your car ran so rich for so long that you fouled the plugs in a cyl. or 2 which would cause those cyls. to not even kinda burn the gas (also havin a cyl down is less power hence hesitation) which very well may have either been "blown by" your rings into the oil or the small amounts of fuel left in the cyl after its last injection before you cut it off each time can leak by into the oil. It sounds like your fuel regulator may have been stuck all the way open trying to maintain your stoichiometric fuel ratio of 14.7:1 for so long that it has gone bad as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go to a stealer or an indy shop and get proper diagnosis so you know what you are dealing with and what the exact problem is first. And then you can fix it DIY if you don't want to pay up. You are replacing fuel pump, MAF and now running with or without MAF all or none of these could be causing the problem. And although forum can be helpful in some case where a symptom is clear and singular, only thing people here can do over the internet right now is guess.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Go to a stealer or an indy shop and get proper diagnosis so you know what you are dealing with and what the exact problem is first. And then you can fix it DIY if you don't want to pay up. You are replacing fuel pump, MAF and now running with or without MAF all or none of these could be causing the problem. And although forum can be helpful in some case where a symptom is clear and singular, only thing people here can do over the internet right now is guess.

+1

you're just wasting time and money guessing at parts to replace.

Take it to a good shop!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts