E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the parts i ordered from ecs get here i would have replaced an expansion tank, a thermostat and 4 water hoses. Seriously why do the water hoses fail. I wish i knew which ones were going to fail. I would have bought them in one go and saved myself the shipping. I pray to god that this will be it in regards to crappy hoses that fail!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can check hoses yourself by looking at them, feeling them, etc. For instance, if they feel really hard or you can feel them cracking, or look really swollen.. probably a good idea to replace them. I replaced all my hoses even though some of them appeared and felt ok.

With these cars it's better to be safe than sorry. When you do something like the cooling system, go all out and replace everything that goes along with it. Saves you headache, time, and money in the long run. Certain parts on these cars are really weak. Btw, might wanna do pulleys if you haven't already.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I learnt the hard way my friend, got back home from work and immediatly started working on the car a few weeks ago. I was trying to work too fast had chosen the spanner, too large, the spanner slipped I bumped number 7 in the picture below and BOOM ... superheated water and steam comes spraying out, got my chest, face, eyes, mouth, arms and hands. Chest, arms and hands were all burnt, face escaped mouth was slightly burnt, eyes escaped. The worst part was my right hand which was right next to the piece, copped it in full force. It's still blistering now lol ... but yeah this piece of plastic just splintered. Even after when I tried to get it OUT of the hose, I had to pry it out with a few screwdrivers as pulling it out with pliers doesn't work.

I guess a piece of plastic gets brittle after 13 years of high heats and high pressures. :facepalm: :eeps:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why is the sky blue?

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I learnt the hard way my friend, got back home from work and immediatly started working on the car a few weeks ago. I was trying to work too fast had chosen the spanner, too large, the spanner slipped I bumped number 7 in the picture below and BOOM ... superheated water and steam comes spraying out, got my chest, face, eyes, mouth, arms and hands. Chest, arms and hands were all burnt, face escaped mouth was slightly burnt, eyes escaped. The worst part was my right hand which was right next to the piece, copped it in full force. It's still blistering now lol ... but yeah this piece of plastic just splintered. Even after when I tried to get it OUT of the hose, I had to pry it out with a few screwdrivers as pulling it out with pliers doesn't work.

I guess a piece of plastic gets brittle after 13 years of high heats and high pressures. :facepalm: :eeps:

why in the hell were you working on your cooling system when your car was still hot? :facepalm:

actually, :facepalm: doesn't come close to my reaction at what you did. I just don't understand :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
937 Posts
why in the hell were you working on your cooling system when your car was still hot? :facepalm:

actually, :facepalm: doesn't come close to my reaction at what you did. I just don't understand :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Nah I wasn't I was working near it :D Working on my TB etc ...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Already said... but WHY are you doing cooling system work with a hot engine. :nono:

You know youre not even supposed to check the coolant level until its cold. :idea:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Already already said.. but why are you working on a hot engine?
Cooling system I know better to work on Engine, well, I'm a tad impatient at times, and I work 6 days a week, so for some of the stuff thats (usually) safe, I just do it after work, but for stuff that needs to be done when the engine is cool, then I wait for Sunday.

·
Just Nuts
7,245 Posts
I hope you realize that failing water hoses isn't specific to BMW. Hoses fail. Just a fact of life. Entropy--look it up.
:facepalm: Well, my hoses don't fail. There's no reason for them to fail if the pressure within the cooling circuit is to spec. Incessant tampering with the cooling system is what will make it off spec.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Obviously we posted at the same time, but check the above post :)
Cooling system I know better to work on Engine, well, I'm a tad impatient at times, and I work 6 days a week, so for some of the stuff thats (usually) safe, I just do it after work, but for stuff that needs to be done when the engine is cool, then I wait for Sunday.

They say if youre not making mistakes, youre not learning. :thumbup:

Im sure there are many who wouldnt even admit to it and others that might not have even known! Kudos and hope those burns heal. I was once cooking some fried fish in a frying pan and got splattered pretty badly flipping it carelessly. :tsk:

·
Registered
800 Posts
well...

why were you cooking with a frying pan?

Why were you flipping carelessly?:facepalm:

Do not tamper with fried fish!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts