E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a hood insulation that weighs 4.7 lbs according to UPS. The part seemed great, it was only $77. When you order an item, you have no idea how much the shipping is until it gets shipped. On the page for the hood insulation, it estimated the shipping cost to be $10.

I would get emails each day that the status was "Processing" ...still no indication how much shipping was going to be. They keep it a mystery until they slam you with the bill when it gets shipped!!!!

I get an email from GetBMWParts that my item had been shipped. At that point, I got the news that my $77 part now had a $93 shipping charge!!

Their so called excellent customer service does not return any emails and there is no way to contact them by phone. I called AMEX and told them to block the merchant and dispute any charges from them as this is absolute robbery!!!

Don't you think if they estimated shipping at $10 and it was $93, they would contact me before slamming this ridiculous charge!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
PM one of the Tischer guy's, they'll be happy to help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,814 Posts
You sure you didn't select overnight air or something? Obviously that is excessive, but Tischer seems to be a respected name around here...I'm sure they could assist you via PM.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,395 Posts
I'm sure they will be happy to take it back. I'm sure they are not making any money on the shipping, that's just what an oversized item comes out too be. Think about it, it can't be folded.
When was your first email to them sent?
Have you tried to IM them at the Im they post?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have done business with Jason and Evan for a few years now.....I stand behind them 100%. They have a high level of integrity and customer service.

When I order something bulky, heavy or large I contact them first to confirm the ship charges. $93.00 does seem very high thou...must be a mistake. Evan and Jason will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If the insulation can't be rolled up (ex: it's brittle like the rear shock tower insulation) and has to be shipped in something roughly the dimension of the hood... yeah I can see shipping being quite expensive.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've found their rates are reasonable ... as others have suggested send them an email ... they've been very responsive when I've emailed them.

·
Registered
2003 330xi auto
788 Posts
What kind of site doesn't tell you how much shipping is going to be before having the order submitted? Thats what I wanna know. If they said $10 bucks, it should have been $10 bucks. Im pretty sure otherwise they would have some huge problems on their hands. In all my years of dealing online, I have never had something where the shipping charge changed while the order was being shipped.

·
-not a mod-
20,599 Posts
spam away.. fortunately Jason and Evan have a great reputation and until you hear back from them, you should hold judgment. If you are ordering a large awkward item, you should always verify before ordering.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,395 Posts
I wonder if the OP read the SHIPPING INFO posted clearly on the site. :facepalm:

Shipping Policy
At this time, we ship exclusively with UPS*. All orders will receive a shipment confirmation email with tracking information, and your order status online will be updated to a 'sent' status with tracking info displayed. Shipping charges are TBD when placing all orders, and your original order confirmation email will not have shipping charges added. We calculate shipping charges only after we package, weigh, and measure your order as shipping charges are based on your location along with the size, weight, and value of the final package. Unless otherwise noted (free shipping, flatrate shipping, etc.) we only charge what the shipping carrier charges to ship your order. This keeps our prices as low as possible. We currently ship oversized items: bumpers, hoods, headliners, wheel/tire sets, aero kits, etc. via UPS Freight at a 150.00 flatrate unless otherwise specified. Rims ship at a 25.00 each or 50.00 for a set of 4. Please email us ([email protected]) prior to ordering if you're unsure what your shipment qualifies as.

To get an idea of how much your order will cost to ship and transit time, check out: UPS Time and Cost Calculator. Enter ‘Silver Spring’ as the ship from city and ‘20904’ as the ship from zip code. **Remember, since we have a shipping account with UPS, the price you’re actually charged will usually be less than the private party rates displayed on their website. Be sure to include the general weight of your shipment. Oversized and overweight items incur additional shipping charges from UPS.

·
-not a mod-
20,599 Posts
I wonder if the OP read the SHIPPING INFO posted clearly on the site. :facepalm:

Shipping Policy
At this time, we ship exclusively with UPS*. All orders will receive a shipment confirmation email with tracking information, and your order status online will be updated to a 'sent' status with tracking info displayed. Shipping charges are TBD when placing all orders, and your original order confirmation email will not have shipping charges added. We calculate shipping charges only after we package, weigh, and measure your order as shipping charges are based on your location along with the size, weight, and value of the final package. Unless otherwise noted (free shipping, flatrate shipping, etc.) we only charge what the shipping carrier charges to ship your order. This keeps our prices as low as possible. We currently ship oversized items: bumpers, hoods, headliners, wheel/tire sets, aero kits, etc. via UPS Freight at a 150.00 flatrate unless otherwise specified. Rims ship at a 25.00 each or 50.00 for a set of 4. Please email us ([email protected]) prior to ordering if you're unsure what your shipment qualifies as.

To get an idea of how much your order will cost to ship and transit time, check out: UPS Time and Cost Calculator. Enter ‘Silver Spring’ as the ship from city and ‘20904’ as the ship from zip code. **Remember, since we have a shipping account with UPS, the price you’re actually charged will usually be less than the private party rates displayed on their website. Be sure to include the general weight of your shipment. Oversized and overweight items incur additional shipping charges from UPS.
:eek:wned:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I really don't get everyone here's irrational defense of tischer. Everyone puts up with their crap like not having a phone number and just says oh there great. If we actually were critical of them maybe they would change their ways.

How is finding the fineprint that says oversized items cost more to ship owning the OP? Clearly he thought this could be folded. It should not be on the customer's end to have to check if something is going to cost $100 to ship. If its more than like $20 they should call the customer. Or hey, just go flag all oversized items on the website and have the system warn you before you purchase. They just have a terrible and unfriendly website design. Doesn't even tell you whats in stock!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well from a shipping standpoint I've seen some ridiculous shipping costs but unless the item is very heavy $93 for something that COULD be the size of a hood is still a bit much. I've worked in shipping for over 11 years and either Tischer is getting raped by UPS (if that's the case all they need to do is threaten to go to FedEx and UPS WILL negotiate) or they're padding their rates to compensate being able to give a better price on the item. I've seen, and been apart of, both scenarios but it shouldn't be up to the consumer to hunt them down and figure it all out after the fact.

That said, my experience with Tischer has always been really good and I've never had any trouble getting a hold of them via e-mail. Perhaps the usual guys are on vacation and there is someone else handling the orders and they made a mistake.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I really don't get everyone here's irrational defense of tischer. Everyone puts up with their crap like not having a phone number and just says oh there great. If we actually were critical of them maybe they would change their ways.

How is finding the fineprint that says oversized items cost more to ship owning the OP? Clearly he thought this could be folded. It should not be on the customer's end to have to check if something is going to cost $100 to ship. If its more than like $20 they should call the customer. Or hey, just go flag all oversized items on the website and have the system warn you before you purchase. They just have a terrible and unfriendly website design. Doesn't even tell you whats in stock!
totally agreed!

·
Registered
233 Posts
i really don't get everyone here's irrational defense of tischer. Everyone puts up with their crap like not having a phone number and just says oh there great. If we actually were critical of them maybe they would change their ways.

How is finding the fineprint that says oversized items cost more to ship owning the op? Clearly he thought this could be folded. It should not be on the customer's end to have to check if something is going to cost $100 to ship. If its more than like $20 they should call the customer. Or hey, just go flag all oversized items on the website and have the system warn you before you purchase. They just have a terrible and unfriendly website design. Doesn't even tell you whats in stock!
+1

·
Registered
431 Posts
With respect to OP, they should have called and verified the higher shipping price before charging his card.

That is all.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That said, my experience with Tischer has always been really good and I've never had any trouble getting a hold of them via e-mail. Perhaps the usual guys are on vacation and there is someone else handling the orders and they made a mistake.
This seems to be most people's experience. Unfortunately what I've found out with tischer first hand is its great until its not. Then there impossible to deal with. With a normal company if I run into an issue I call them and get it taken care of before it ships or becomes a bigger issue. With only email support, its hit or miss whether they read the email in time, etc. Plus, even with the best intentions, its much easier to ignore an email or put it off til later when compared to having a customer on the phone explaining the situation and asking to get it taken care of immediately. Add this to their already confusing and uninformative website and you have the situation where 90% of the time everything works fine but when it doesn't its a huge hassle.

Plus, having to PM a customer support rep on an forum is just not good customer service (which seems to be the best way to ensure you are taken care of quickly).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts