E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haaaaaay people :hi:

okay..i'm somewhat new to the forum...posted like twice i think (sorry i don't give many replies to other threads since i don't really know much about bimmers so you'd probably be better off without my advice..not that i have anything useful to add to them anyway). i mainly just read them for the useful info to help me when i buy one :thumbup:

anyways, hopefully you people can help me anyway..or give me an opinion at least...pretty please :bow:

okay, i found the car that i really really want basically...here's the info on it:

2002 325ci white
black leather
premium & sport pkgs
heated front seats
xenon lights
24K miles

$30,900

i actually have a couple questions that hopefully you people can help me on.

1) is that price worth it? if not, how much do you think this car would be worth? i already checked on edmunds.com and kbb.com...but i just wanted to get some actual prices for what people have paid for this particular model with these options....and yes it's a CPO car from a dealer

the main thing that i need opinions on is that...this car..it's 400 miles away from where i live basically...i won't be able to see the car...but i'm afraid that when i go down (probably in about 2 weeks) it'll have been sold by then. so i was thinking about just buying it over the phone.

2) is purchasing a car over the phone a bad idea? or in general..is buying a car 400 miles away a bad idea? should i wait to find a car up here closer to where i live? if buying a car far away isn't...then what kind of info should i get the people to send me to check out before i buy it?

okay any advice on what i should do would be very much appreciated, cause i've been racking my brain trying to decide what to do..and i don't wanna seem impulsive and jump into it if it's not a good idea...especially with a bmw..so yeah..any help...remember...post a reply...get a cookie...

·
Banned
388 Posts
mamasaid325CI said:

okay..i'm somewhat new to the forum...posted like twice i think (sorry i don't give many replies to other threads since i don't really know much about bimmers so you'd probably be better off without my advice..not that i have anything useful to add to them anyway). i mainly just read them for the useful info to help me when i buy one :thumbup:

anyways, hopefully you people can help me anyway..or give me an opinion at least...pretty please :bow:

okay, i found the car that i really really want basically...here's the info on it:

2002 325ci white
black leather
premium & sport pkgs
heated front seats
xenon lights
24K miles

$30,900

i actually have a couple questions that hopefully you people can help me on.

1) is that price worth it? if not, how much do you think this car would be worth? i already checked on edmunds.com and kbb.com...but i just wanted to get some actual prices for what people have paid for this particular model with these options....and yes it's a CPO car from a dealer

the main thing that i need opinions on is that...this car..it's 400 miles away from where i live basically...i won't be able to see the car...but i'm afraid that when i go down (probably in about 2 weeks) it'll have been sold by then. so i was thinking about just buying it over the phone.

2) is purchasing a car over the phone a bad idea? or in general..is buying a car 400 miles away a bad idea? should i wait to find a car up here closer to where i live? if buying a car far away isn't...then what kind of info should i get the people to send me to check out before i buy it?

okay any advice on what i should do would be very much appreciated, cause i've been racking my brain trying to decide what to do..and i don't wanna seem impulsive and jump into it if it's not a good idea...especially with a bmw..so yeah..any help...remember...post a reply...get a cookie...
Hey bro...first. Nice car your diggin in too... but there are lots of things I would consider first...The price is quite high for a 325Ci..although it is low miles but..still...just a little to peaky.. I would try to stay away from Dealer "pre-owned" cars..and look for individuals...that have service records and warranty insepections done to there cars..that will serve you as a good proof that the car has been taken care of.. Also..DO NOT buy your car withou seeing it, sometimes you may find yourself with things that you really dont expect..for example..permanant leather damage that you may not like..etc.. or some defect on the car you may dislike..whatever the case..avoid buying a car U do not know.!! Try searching in www.autotrader.com ...they have there fare-share of adds...also... expect prices on 2002+ 325Ci with relatively low miles to be on the 21-29K range..depending on vehicle..I think mid 20s should be fine on a well-maintained good condition low miles 325.... good luck. Remember..try searching for individuals and avoid Stealer-ships. You may end up saving your selfs a good amount of $k that may be used at the end for...uuuhh ....oh I know :idea: ....MODS!!!

·
Ultimate Wagon
1,547 Posts
mamasaid325CI said:

2002 325ci white
black leather
premium & sport pkgs
heated front seats
xenon lights
24K miles

$30,900.
I stopped reading your post when I saw this figure. Price WAY too high. Find another car. ... and if you can afford this price, you can buy yourself a 330.

·
No more E46 :(
2,632 Posts
I agree the price is high. You can probably find a 330 for that price!

Oh, don't buy the car without even seeing it! Just drive 400 miles and check it out. Make sure you call them first to make sure it's still available!

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
This 325Ci is worth ~ $23K

Do a Kelly Blue Book valuation. Also do a CarFax. But don't pay anything over $25 unless Carmen Electra comes with it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
bmw325S said:
Hey bro...first. Nice car your diggin in too...
fyi....i'm a girl...but i appreciate that there is no sexism here! hahahaha..jk! thanks for the compliment though...what can i say...i have good taste :p

second, i just checked the site...it's actually 23K miles not that makes much of a difference since i previously stated 24K..

also..there's HK sound system...that's all the info i got for now that they list..

bmw325S said:
Also..DO NOT buy your car withou seeing it, sometimes you may find yourself with things that you really dont expect..for example..permanant leather damage that you may not like..etc.. or some defect on the car you may dislike..whatever the case..avoid buying a car U do not know.!!
okay...well how about if i get a friend to go look at the car for me? i was actually thinking of getting a friend to go look at the car for me..inside and out and tell me if it's in overall good condition...and just tell him what to look for...or should i just go look myself? btw...what exactly should i look for other than the obvious..leather damage...

also..the reason that i want this car really bad is because i've checked all the cars around here for the past couple weeks and there are NONE that fit those things that i've found in this car...let alone..there are hardly any white cars WITHOUT sand interior...sorry don't really like sand interior...so this is the first car i've seen that actually doesn't have that color interior...so i just don't want to let it slip away..i've looked on every single bmw site in california...autobytel..autotrader..usedcars..carsdirect..cars...all of them..and none of them have what i want..so yeah..but anyways...okay i got that the price is too high...that seems like a consensus..

okay so back to my other question..is it bad to even buy a car that far away? because you know i hear things how you should buy it only from the dealer that you're getting it serviced from..cause then they'll treat you bad if you didn't..blah blah...

bmw325S said:
Remember..try searching for individuals and avoid Stealer-ships. You may end up saving your selfs a good amount of $k that may be used at the end for...uuuhh ....oh I know ....MODS!!!
also..with the whole buying it from a private seller thing...is it bad to buy a car from a private seller too far away too? also, is that a good idea that it then won't be a CPO car? i always thought that it's better to buy it from a dealer cause you have that warranty on a CPO car but not if you get it from a private party...

these questions aren't just directed toward bmw325S (thanks for the great advice tho) any additional input would be great from anyone!

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want, you can pull the CPO off the car...i did that with the 04 330ci...i think it's like 800 bucks cheaper? You don't get the 6 yrs/100k powertrain...you get the 4 yrs/50k. Imo...since bmw makes solid cars, if something is gonna break mechanically...it will do it in the first 50k miles.

Also...sorry to hijack...but i have a question for you pros...

I bought the 6 yrs/100k extended maintanece...but i realized there's no way i'm gonna put 100k miles in 6 yrs :rolleyes: ...i didn't know it was which one comes up first. Can I ask the dealer to refund me and cancel the plan?

2nd...did I get a good deal from a dealer? 04 330ci 9400 miles...every option (premium, sport, steptronic, cold weather, park distance, h/k) except 18's, nav...i bought it in july 04...for 36k or sumthin...after tax and the extended maintanece, it was a lil under 40k out the door.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
wow... that's way overpriced... i've seen 325ci's w/ 25k miles go for about $25k buy it now price on ebay.... 400 miles away isn't too bad... i got mine all the way from NJ and had it shipped to CA.. I didn't get to test drive my car at all before I got it. Just saw some pictures. Imagine how unnerving that was... Lucky everything was OK when it got here. I guess you don't have to worry too much since it's still under warranty. BMW will fix just about anything free of charge. I never got treated badly by my dealer just because I got it from somewhere else. Not sure about all the dealerships but the service people at Niello BMW are so polite and you get a free car wash everytime you bring it in.. You should go to www.carfax.com and check up on the car's history before you buy. Ok... so where's my cookie?!?!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The price is definately way too high. You definately want to have someone check out the car for you...where is it located? Theres gotta be some fanatics that live there who would be willing to do that for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
bimmer88 said:
wow... that's way overpriced... i've seen 325ci's w/ 25k miles go for about $25k buy it now price on ebay.... 400 miles away isn't too bad... i got mine all the way from NJ and had it shipped to CA.. I didn't get to test drive my car at all before I got it. Just saw some pictures. Imagine how unnerving that was... Lucky everything was OK when it got here. I guess you don't have to worry too much since it's still under warranty. BMW will fix just about anything free of charge. I never got treated badly by my dealer just because I got it from somewhere else. Not sure about all the dealerships but the service people at Niello BMW are so polite and you get a free car wash everytime you bring it in.. You should go to www.carfax.com and check up on the car's history before you buy. Ok... so where's my cookie?!?!
thanks for the post...it makes me feel somewhat better knowing that there's a poor soul out there just as impulsive and impatient as me to get the car they really want :thumbup: hehe..cool..you're in sac...i'll give you a cookie the next time i go to davis...hahaha..

but yeah..if i do get it...hopefully i'll be able to talk it down...as long as the salesguy isn't hella shady about going down too far...

sehoot said:
The price is definately way too high. You definately want to have someone check out the car for you...where is it located? Theres gotta be some fanatics that live there who would be willing to do that for you.
the car is based in san diego...so if there is ANYBODY who's in that area who can check the car out for me... :woot: and if you don't mind...i'll be eternally grateful...but if not..then it's quite alright...i can just ask a friend down there to see if he can check it out for me...but i'd figure somebody on this forum would be a better option since you people know the car...but if you can...email me or something..thanks a bunch...

·
Banned
388 Posts
your welcome.. Ill be willing to help U anytime u want.... by the way..dont worry bout the distance..hell, my sister lives in boston and baught her car from the VW dealer 10.mins away from my house here in Miami, only because she would save $1000 (even with the shipping to boston included)... so hey..what can I tell u..dont worry bout the distance.. but make sure to have someone check out the car...and getting back to the price...please refuse to pay more than $27,000 for that car.... It is a rare find...and I totally understant you. but dont tell me your willing to pay $2-$5Ks for leather color? :hmm: any ways..good luck..keep us informed.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,500 Posts
Guys are walking out of dealerships paying 36k for brand new ZHP's. That price on the 325 is too much, considering how much more you can get (a BRAND NEW ZHP!) for only a few K more.

but 325's do rock :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
okay..so it seems as if everybody thinks this price is WAAAAY too high..so okay...i won't pay $30K for it..no matter HOW BADLY i want it :(

but, okay i have another question if anybody can answer for me..since i've never technically tried to bargain on a car...let alone buy one...i was wondering if anybody can give me any tips on how to bargain with the salesguy on how to get him to lower the price...okay cause basically..since i probably won't be willing to pay more than $27K for the car...and it costs $31K...i don't really wanna even waste my time going all the way down there if there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that the guy is gonna even down that far...basically a $4K drop..so yeah...if anybody thinks that no dealer would drop the price that far down...then tell me now and i won't waste my precious time going down there...but if anybody thinks that a dealer could/will possibly go down to $25-26K then can you give me ideas on how i could go about presenting the price? because i want to talk to him about the price before even going down there...hence i have to talk to him about it on the phone..so how would i go about see how far down he would go...or discussing the price with him over the phone? any insight on the matter that anybody could give me :bow:

thanks for all the advice so far, people..damnit..i gotta buy a lot of cookies :jack:

simsima325 said:
but 325's do rock :D
oh yes...they DO.

·
No more E46 :(
2,632 Posts
mamasaid325CI said:
because i want to talk to him about the price before even going down there...hence i have to talk to him about it on the phone..so how would i go about see how far down he would go...or discussing the price with him over the phone? any insight on the matter that anybody could give me :bow:
Most likely they won't take you seriously since you haven't even seen the car. What if they agreed to sell it to you for $25K but when you see the car, you change your mind?

Just go down there to check out the car. Make sure you mention that you had to drive 400 miles to see it and you really want to do business with them. You never know!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts