E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GET A SHORT SHIFTER! I cannot believe the difference the UUC SSK made in my 2000 328i! This is a definite must have! I can't believe these cars didnt come stock with one of these, it is really a night a day difference. I'm glad this was my first mod!

·
Imported *******
828 Posts
ne1 had probs with them?

I've heard too many stories about wierd clicking and clanking sounds after they installed this.

I would still love to have one but someone erase my fears.........

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah, buy it from Traumamc! Great service! (had to put that plug in for you Jon)

I dont know about how it is to install on other cars, but it took me a few hours on my 328i. The ERK took up about 80% of the time. I put the ERK in with the carrier (I think this is what it's called) in the car, so I had to use some small fingers to put the 6 screws into the ERK from inside the car. This was a pain in the butt, but the results are worth it! (maybe some cars dont use the ERK? I'm not sure- I dont see how people can do this job in 20 minutes in a 328??)

It does make a little more noise that the stock shifter (nothing unbearable), but no gear noise or anything that sounds bad. I think it's more that the noise is transferred more easily through the aluminum ERK (because before the nylon bushing that holds the shifter went straight into the carrier piece) because it still feels as "notchy" as the stock shifter, just a LOT shorter. I did not do the carrier bushing upgrade, just the cartridge bearing upgrade.

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,264 Posts
On the 323, it is very simple.... you just take the old one off (5 mins) and put the new one on (15 mins.) The hardest part is getting the circlip back on.... and the best trick is to spray the boot w/ sylicon spray before you put it on the new shifter... it will slide on like a dream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.