BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just Marinatin'
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I am going to clarify:
This DIY is only useful to people that have a Sedan with no premium package. Only if you have the really basic lighting that has not map lights.

I know that most people on here have the advanced lighting but I am one of the chumps that doesn't. So I took the initiative and figured out how to wire the map lights to work on the enhanced lighting module. Oh and no thanks to anyone on here because nobody would help me out with a very simple picture request. Anyway here it is.

First you want to pop the light out and remove the wire harness. You are going to pry with a flathead screwdriver at the bottom left corner in order to slide the top out.

Once you have the cover removed you can slide in a socket pin contact wire part #61-13-0-005-197 into the very last hole opposite of the other four wires.

Now you want to attach a male wire connector that is going to be plugged into a slide tap. Go ahead and clip the wire of the pin contact to about 4 inches then attach the slide connector piece.

This might be the complicated part if you have not done a Radar Detector Hardwiring. It is really simple though. Just take your wire slide tap and plug it into the blue and green wire found to the side of the sunroof motor. If you have trouble with this then go to my330.com (I think that is the site but I am sure that you know what it is). Tap into this wire and then connect the wire from the harness.

Now reassemble everything to took apart and there you go the map lights will work. Only problem with using this wire is that it is a switched 12v source so the map lights will only work when the car is running or the key is on the ACC/ON position. If anyone knows a better wire then let me know. Hope this has been helpful to someone.
:thumbup:

One more thing thanks to sundance (amber) for coming through with a picture of where the wire needed to go. Couldn't have done it without you kid. Well maybe I could have but thanks anyway.

·
Just Marinatin'
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems pretty simple

If you dont have the enhanced lighting in your car then it comes with the light housing with no map lights. I bought the enhanced lighting but the map lights didnt work because there was no wire running to them to turn them on. I wired it so the map lights would work. Not that big of a deal but, there might be some people on here that want to upgrade.

·
Just Marinatin'
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well

Mine is a 2000 and I only know or have seen a handful of people without it. Maybe the newer ones come with it. I knew that this info would probably be pretty useless but I just thought there might be atleast one person out there that could use it. Guess not. :sad:

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Do you have part numbers for the whole thing? My friend's dad has a 2k 323i with the same lights. Theres a few lame little things that his car doesnt have, like my rear lights can be turned on individually and i have mesh nets on my seat backs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mcabr,
This is a great write up for me. I am in the same boat as you. I have a 1999 323i (SP...no PP) with a replaced enhanced lighting unit (vs. the single light unit). I can now use the map lights. Thank you very much for this write up...it is very helpful. :thumbup: :pimpin:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good Job!! :thumbup:

As some has mentioned, I really didn't noticed it but I know the car came with the option (ambient light is what i think it's called).

I think mainly because I was the driver most of time and didn't really pay attention to it but I have gotten many compliments from passengers (e.g., dates and so on)...

·
Just Marinatin'
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not sure

SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
Do you have part numbers for the whole thing? My friend's dad has a 2k 323i with the same lights. Theres a few lame little things that his car doesnt have, like my rear lights can be turned on individually and i have mesh nets on my seat backs.

I am not sure what the part number for the light housing is but I gave the part number for the pin wire that you need. If you just go to the dealer and tell them that you want the light that comes with the premium package then they will know how to find it on their ETK.

I am glad that this info was useful to SOME people. :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Muhahaa a car w/o map light What the fck is that about. You guys pay over 30 grand and did not get a MAP LIGHT?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts