BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
That P1477 code means that your carbon canister is not working within your EVAP system. This code came up probably because you unhooked the hose from the intake boot.

I would go to Autozone or something and just clear the code with the tool.You should be fine and the code will not come up anymore.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The urgency in your thread topic amuses me. I was expecting to open this and read about your daughter being kidnapped or that you were diagnosed with a rare blood disease that needed a tissue donor. Not that you had a CEL you needed to clear.

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
You can't clear a CEL by just undoing the battery, I don't know who told you that. This is not a life or death situation, calm down. It takes a few seconds to clear it with a code reader. If your Autozone won't do it, try another auto parts store. If not, then find a local fanatic who has a code reader and will let you clear it.

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
DO NOT go to the dealership. They will charge you to do it and rip you off.

Go to AutoZone and tell them that you won't pit any blame on them, you just want your code removed. Is that the only AutoZone near you? Try another one.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,738 Posts
As mentioned above, do not panic.

As a BMW owner, it's important for you to understand how the diagnostic systems in your car function. You have a generic OBDII system that ALL cars produced after 1996 have, and a factory programmed, chassis-specific system that tracks faults using BMW's codes. The two systems are not the same, and use different types of readers to view and clear the codes.

It is in your best interest to NOT simply clear the codes. Find the most accurate definition - preferably with a non-OBDII tool - and fix the problem.

Even with that, it is highly likely that this will not be your last check engine light activation. You can continue to travel to an auto parts store for less-than-accurate code definitions, or you can put a BMW-Specific scan tool in your glove box and use it on your own schedule.

Tools from Peake Research are non-OBDII, BMW Specific hand-held readers that will provide you with the same codes the dealer sees. You can read and reset them as you see fit. At the same (or lower) cost as a trip to the dealer, a Peake tool will likely pay for itself the first time you use it.

We carry the complete selection of Peake tools - www.bmwscantools.com to see more details. You can also check out the article linked in my signature - click the 'Everything you need to know about Peake tools' link to check that out.

If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to contact me directly - [email protected]

Good luck!

Ken

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
It's not the same store policy throughout. I've gotten codes cleared at Autozone before at my request. Same with a lot of fanatics. Just go try another place. You could just be dealing with one moron at one store.

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
You'll find out after you clear it. If it comes back, then you obviously haven't fixed the problem. If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
DO NOT go to the dealership. They will charge you to do it and rip you off.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Get out of town! You mean someone doesn't work for free? :idea:

I can't believe the nerve of some of you dolts. Of course I am not going to fix someone's car for free. I get paid to fix your car, and get paid to fix what you can't do or screw up trying to do. Thats about like me complaining I had to pay for something that YOU do for a living.

Whats funny is this situation comes up alot. A bunch of 'know-nothings' who think they know it all, are rooting on someone who is somewhat clueless. With all the money that most of you pour down the drain by replacing parts........you could have gone to the dealer, gotten your car fixed......and still come out with money in hand.

Yeah the dealer costs alot more than an indy, but IMO you get what you pay for. There are GREAT indy shops out there, don't get me wrong. There are also horrible dealerships out there. Then there are the forum readers. :rofl:

·
Registered
25,179 Posts

I can't believe the nerve of some of you dolts. Of course I am not going to fix someone's car for free. I get paid to fix your car, and get paid to fix what you can't do or screw up trying to do. Thats about like me complaining I had to pay for something that YOU do for a living.

Whats funny is this situation comes up alot. A bunch of 'know-nothings' who think they know it all, are rooting on someone who is somewhat clueless. With all the money that most of you pour down the drain by replacing parts........you could have gone to the dealer, gotten your car fixed......and still come out with money in hand.

Yeah the dealer costs alot more than an indy, but IMO you get what you pay for. There are GREAT indy shops out there, don't get me wrong. There are also horrible dealerships out there. Then there are the forum readers. :rofl:
And what dealer might you work out? I'll send you a bottle of Midol for your little...problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts

If these were SURE outcomes I would not have any problem paying my dealership to fix my car. However....you left out the scenario that I experienced most frequently when my car was under warranty (only reason I went to the dealer). I take my car in, they replace a bunch of parts. I get my car back with the same problem it had before they replaced all that stuff. My car was in four or fives times to have the VANOS related idle surge/stalling that was going on with almost all 328i s. They replaced practically every part on the outside of the engine (sensors, throttle body, wiring harness, idle valves, etc., etc., etc.). I still had the same problem. They finally replaced the VANOS that fixed the problem TEMPORARILY. Now we have a forum member who seems to have fixed the problem for good (BMW never did fix the real problem). Anyway, in my experience, the dealership is good ONLY IF THEY HAPPEN TO HAVE A GREAT MECHANIC. I believe that most don't!!! I have solved many problems using the forum and saved probably $2000.00 in the past 6 months getting my car back up to speed. Don't be so quick to condemn the forum. It's not perfect but then........neither is the dealership. I believe that car repair guaranteed. Yes, we will replace this part and it will fix your problem or you get your money back. In fact, what takes place most of the time is.....we'll replace this part, you have to pay for it, we think it will fix your problem. If it does not fix your problem, we'll replace something else and you will have to pay for that too!:tsk:

Anyway....I'd love to find a master E46 mechanic around here and I would be happy to pay him to FIX my car when there is something wrong with it. However, the one thing that's for sure is that he does NOT work at my local dealership.

Todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts