E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving down the highway and the battery light pops on...I'm like :censor:. I turned all electronics off and tried to make it home thinking it was just the alternator that might have gone out. Then the temperature starting rising so I pull over. I open the hood and serpentine belt is GONE! :banghead:

Get it towed home and this is the result...

Idler pulley sheared OFF, and I found it chilling in the splash guard along with the bearings. I was lucky it didn't damage my fan or radiator when it seized. I've never seen anything like this. Car only had 80k miles on it, but all is well now, I ordered the parts from ECS tuning. Just a note to future drivers, if you replace the belt, water pump, alternator, power-steering, then might as well put a new idler pulley and tensioner pulley on...they aren't expensive :thumbsup:

Here are the parts:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Engine/Drive_Belts/ES2091257/

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Engine/Drive_Belts/ES2091258/

She's back on the road now!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The tensioner pulley you referenced works if you have the hydraulic tensioner installed. If you have the mechanical tensioner installed (same type as on the a/c), then you need a different pulley. I used a Dayco 89133 pulley (Amazon.com ~$20), which can also be bought from Autozone as a Duralast-brand pulley.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did your tensioner make a squealing sound at startup?
I had my belts replaced, then found out I could have done it myself in 20 minutes.
Right after the belts were replaced, the next morning I could hear a tinny squealing sound.
I have hydraulic alt tensioner , so i used a allen wrench in bolt on tensioner, pulled it clockwise and pulled the belt off, i spun then tensioner and idler pulley by hand and they sounded like an old pair of rollerskates. Orieleys auto parts had both in stock and they are you tube vids by solidjake on replacing them. While apart, i spun the alt and it too had loud bearings.
New tensioners, and all is quiet, but since the oem alt had 187k on it, i found another and changed it later. Now 32 degree mornings and all is quiet

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
@ShredM
Glad to hear you're okay and that you saved your motor from this incident (by Not letting it overheat too badly with your quick thinking and reflexes) - getting your car stopped in time from Highway speeds.

Critical Note to self: Listen to your vehicle... I'm sure the idler pulley Has been making some odd/weird squealing noises way before it gave up the ghost like that. So, don't just ignore those noises in the future, even though you may think the car is still operating/running "fine" - the word is
Preventative Maintenance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yep same thing happened 2 the wife last nite driving home in our 328. luckily she was only about 2 blocks from the house so nothing overheated. the belt was all wrapped up around the fan but amazingly nothing else was damaged. I found the replacement at autozone for $38 and the store nearest my work happens to have one in stock! amazing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...id=475135&_requestid=475399&_requestid=476403

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie here and I need help, exact same thing happened to me, so I replaced iddler pulley and put on 2 new belts..car cranked up nice for 8 seconds then a smell of burned rubber(which I assume was the belt) then a pop sound(which was the iddler belt coming off)..so now what do I do? What could be the problem? Thank you in advance for everyone's help..

·
Registered
116 Posts
yep same thing happened 2 the wife last nite driving home in our 328. luckily she was only about 2 blocks from the house so nothing overheated. the belt was all wrapped up around the fan but amazingly nothing else was damaged. I found the replacement at autozone for $38 and the store nearest my work happens to have one in stock! amazing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...id=475135&_requestid=475399&_requestid=476403
How is the pulley holding up? im thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just saw this and this reminded me of my wife's E39. Exactly happened to her on her way to work one morning. Pulled off the freeway exit ramps. Had the car towed 4 blocks down to Bercht BMW dealer. They repaired it under warranty. Freaked her out though. She had enough sense to pull over. Some good smaritan driver help her push off the road and wait for a tow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i fear this is coming up on my e46, i hear a squeal at low rpm's/idle coming from the belts/pulleys, whats the average shop quote on a job like this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts