E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, trying to identify vacuum leaks, I have a new intake manifold gasket, new ccv cold weather, new throttle body gasket, new vacuum lines, but this idler valve grommet feels pretty loose and it was relatively easy to pulled it out, it's the original I believe how tight this should feel??? I am ordering a new one from ecs tunning anyway. Hopefully I can feel the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The grommet goes into the manifold first. It may not be real tight. When you install the icv into the grommet, it will expand the grommet creating a tight seal. The important thing is that the nipple on the icv fits tight into the grommet when it's all together. Have you done a smoke test? That's the best way to find vacuum leaks.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grommet goes into the manifold first. It may not be real tight. When you install the icv into the grommet, it will expand the grommet creating a tight seal. The important thing is that the nipple on the icv fits tight into the grommet when it's all together. Have you done a smoke test? That's the best way to find vacuum leaks.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk
That probably will me be my next step if this doesn't address the problem, thank you for your feed back

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,354 Posts
I actually pains me to see folks throw money/time at "known areas" for vacuum leaks and issues. Some stumble upon it and others don't.
Then the car gets a bad rep.

SMOKE MACHINE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually pains me to see folks throw money/time at "known areas" for vacuum leaks and issues. Some stumble upon it and others don't.
Then the car gets a bad rep.

SMOKE MACHINE.
Hello, I replaced all those items due I had to replace my starter but I sure miss the icv grommet, I really enjoy working on my bmw and I am intrigued on using a smoke machine, one more toy to troubleshoot, 👍thank you

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,354 Posts
Thanks for not taking it personally.
I dare say that 50% of the I'm stumped posts surround vacuum leaks and no/improper detection devices.

It should almost be mandatory to build some sort of smoke machine if you own a modern BMW, IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for not taking it personally.
I dare say that 50% of the I'm stumped posts surround vacuum leaks and no/improper detection devices.

It should almost be mandatory to build some sort of smoke machine if you own a modern BMW, IMO.
My pleasure, I welcome all type of comments and input and the main reason is for me to get better troubleshooting, I am at first time bmw owner and it has been really entertaining and exciting ride, I never before have been so interested on working in a vehicle. I watched a few videos on homemade smoke machines and it's interesting. Thank you again .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts