E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
On my way to university today I stopped at a light and felt a small jolt (jerk type feeling) I then realized looking at my RPM's they were sitting around 1000 and then jolting down to 800-900 every few seconds. This only occurred when I was stopped (not moving) and also once the car warmed up the problem went away completely. A friend said to check my coolant and it is topped up and I did some searching and figured out it may be vanos as I have several of those symptoms. What do you guys think?! Any other suggestions? Also how much would a repair for this run me?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate all the help :hi:

BTW: The car is a 2004 330ci ZHP with 130,000 KM

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine did this for weeks, it could be a number of things. Independent shop diagnosed O2 sensors. Did full computer reset and idle, judder, is all gone =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, I'm going to drop it by a local shop to get it diagnosed, just bought the car a week ago so hopefully they'll cover something like this

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Cold idle problems can be many things. VANOS seals, MAF, ICV, etc. You can always search through some threads to learn some on the topics.

I've also noticed today the gear changes seem to be choppy and sluggish almost
New fluid never hurts. The shifter bushings (base of shifter rod where it connects to shifter linkage) are also known to wear and cause a "sloppy" feel to the shifter, noticeable when in gear the shifter has plenty of play in it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine did the same thing and would also die at worst possible times.
solidjake has a great vid on youtube on cleaning the idle control valve.
I did this cleaning once and it was better, but not perfect. So i cleaned it again and this time sprayed a little contact cleaner and lube into bottom of icv with the icv standing vertical and let it soak. This completely fixed idle.
If your car has over 80k on it, plan on replacing the intake boots, pelicanparts.com.
Also ck you disa valve while you have it off. The pin the flap rotates on has been know to slide out and can get sucked into intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts