E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a remote starter. I know you need a key in the ignition or disable drive away protection if you want to do this mod and I'm OK with that. But BMW says not to let the car idle--just start and drive. What damage occurs if I do this anyway? I'm thinking of this for winter warm ups. :idea:

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,777 Posts
when you let your car idle in the cold the oil is obviously cold and doesnt lubricate as much. If the engine idles it doesnt heat up as quickly. Theres a couple reasons why they say not to let the car idle:

1 - This is when the car emits the most exhaust gases. Therefore, they want you to quickly drive the car so it warms up faster therefore emitting less exhaust gases.

2 - Oil heats up faster when you start to drive it. Once its heated up properly then it will lubricate to its maximum capacity therefore preventing excessive engine wear. You leave it to idle, it doesnt heat up as fast, it operates w/ less-than-optimal lubrication and wears a bit faster.

Now, when i say faster, i mean like the engine may only see 150,000 miles instead of 185,000 miles. Now those figures arent correct, but the point im trying to make is you wont really see the affects of something like that until later in the cars life but since most of us are fanatics about our cars conditions, we like to take care of it, even if we're not still the owners when our work pays off.

-mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts