E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

2001 325Ci, very likely to be the Euro version, not US.

I'm trying to do a throttle body and ICV clean, but the car is so old that everything is stuck. The ICV will not come out. I've removed the two Torx bolts and disconnected the electrical clip. Am I forgetting something? In every video, people just pull the ICV out with zero force. I've been at this for two days now and nothing is working. Lower boot was also stuck, I was very close to cutting it off with shears.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Get some spray silicone. It works wonders against rubber items like the seal that holds the icv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've tried taking mine out before and was met with so much resistance that I just left it.

I'm going to try again in a month or so while doing the ccv again, I bought a new grommet so I can replace that if I destroy it trying to take the ICV out.

From what I've read, just clean it well and put back in, pretty expensive part to replace since it hardly fails.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
...just clean it well and put back in, pretty expensive part to replace since it hardly fails.
OEM is about $150, non-OEM is about $30. Makes a person what the difference is.

Still hoping someone chimes in and says that replacement after 100k miles is recommended, not that I want to spend money but an expected lifetime would be nice. I'm sure mine has never been off the car and is probably quite dirty.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Mine works fine after 145k. I just pulled it out and cleaned it, wasn't even very dirty. I can think of better things to spend $130 on, and $30 on an aftermarket ICV would be $30 wasted. You have to pull it anyway if you were going to replace it so why not just clean it with throttle body cleaner and reinstall it. Got money burning a hole in your pocket? Buy a new grommet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts