BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I promised you guys, here are some quick pics I shot before going to work this morning....

Here's the trunk w/ the JL amp rack...

Its hard to tell from this pic, but the fiberglass enclosure is molded in a similar shape as the amp itself, and sits back against the back seat (I can still fold them down). The amp itself is flush deep within the enclosure, with just the face showing. There's a blue neon above (you can't see the actual bulb, which is nice). I'll try and take more night pics to show the display.

Oh, and for a nice touch - he carved/carpeted the JL logo behind the amp rack, so when you fold down the seats, you can see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the music keg and crossovers

He removed the stock amp and tried to mount the music keg behind the carpeting and just cut out enough to show off the kenwood logo and the slot for the drive itself. Unfortunately since we were using the stock carpeting, it wasn't shaped well, and left some huge gaps if would have cut it. So instead, he just created a bracket behind and mounted it on top of the carpet and hid the wiring.

The crossovers are from the JL components. Nothing special, but a nice touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EQT Drawer open..

You can see the shelf/drawer that he built to hold the two EQTs. Its pretty sweet, as it slides out. Here's a pic of it open, but I opened it up a bit too far (don't worry, there's enough wiring slack behind it). It's a bad pic and doesn't do the setup justice. There's another neon that lights the tray up as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally the headunit

Its a Kenwood Excelon 859 something. As you can see, there is a gap since the unit sits further back than the carrier. I really love this headunit since it controls the music keg, and the sirius satellite (which btw: kicks ***, I'll never EVER listen to normal radio again).

I don't have pics of the sirius tuner and antenna yet. The tuner is hidden in the trunk on the right side (above the battery) and the antenna is mounted on the rear deck inside the car. I didn't want any wiring or stuff showing, so he did a great job of hiding all that stuff underneath the reardeck. I was worried about the reception since it was suggested to mount the antenna outside. Unless I'm inside a garage or something, I have no problems whatsoever w/ a signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh - thanks man. The install was centered around a couple of things:

1) Sound quality - hence the components/new cable/speaker wires/dynamat

2) Clean install - build an enclosure or hide whatever

3) Usable trunk - as you can see, the configuration let me keep probably 80+% of my stock trunkspace. I had two big boxes of manuals and the stock equipment to take home from the installers last night. I was able to stuff them into the trunk no problem. That was the unofficial test :)

The stealths are GREAT. Its running w/ the 250w channel from the 500/5 amp. Had to turn the gains DOWN on both the amp and the headunit because it was overpowering the fronts. I really think the dynamat on the rear deck and the doors gave me more bass/midbass than what I was expecting.

I can't wait to just cruise around all weekend! I just hope it doesn't snow around here...

PS: As for the shelf - by the time I'm done w/ this thing, you can be sure it'll be motorized :)

CrazyBimmer said:
wow great work. I really like that sliding shelve. Very clean install. :D

How you like those JL stealth subs?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
i think im blind, but whats in the amp rack? i already see a jl amp??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uhm - hence the term "amp" rack. :)

Seriously, I just wanted a unique way of mounting the amp outside of just a flat piece of wood against the back seat or on the floor or on the side of the trunk. The way the amp is recessed in the enclosure, you don't see ANY wires from the outside.

low said:
i think im blind, but whats in the amp rack? i already see a jl amp??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh - yeah, those are the two EQTs. They're mono equalizers, so one for the left size, one for the right. Right now it manually slides out, but I'm planning on motorizing it later. (hooked up to a remote to trigger the neons and stuff)

CrazyBimmer said:
i think he means whats in the slide out part. I think they are EQs.... ?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
CrazyBimmer said:
i think he means whats in the slide out part. I think they are EQs.... ?
yeah thanks for clearin that up for me;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
drgalleg, when they dynamat your rear deck. Did they dynamat under the rear metal 'roof' that's accessible from the trunk? Or did they dynamat the underside of the rear deck liner (accessible only after you remove the rear deck from inside the car)?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They took the entire rear deck out, and dynamatted everything underneath it. From what I hear, it was a pain because of the multiple small pieces of dynamatt they needed to cut.

Update: Oh, now that I've had the system for a couple of days, I can say there is NO rattle.....except for one thing. The Sirius antenna they installed on the rear deck wasn't really securely tapped down - when I've got the bass turned up, it rattles and hits the rear window. I just need to get some doublesided tape or velcro and secure it.

BTW: I don't know about you bass heads - maybe I'm just not into the SPL thing at all - but the amount of bass I'm geting from the stealths w/ 250 Watts going to them is more than enough. In fact, I needed to lower the Non-fade output from the headunit down to like -5, otherwise the thing was just giving me a headache. The fact that the drivers are mounted inside the cabin and pumping bass straight into the cabin is key. It makes it seem like a much larger/powerful system than it actually is.

md330 said:
drgalleg, when they dynamat your rear deck. Did they dynamat under the rear metal 'roof' that's accessible from the trunk? Or did they dynamat the underside of the rear deck liner (accessible only after you remove the rear deck from inside the car)?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great comments guys - I really appreciate it.

The way I look at it, the system is completely open to going back to either stock, or going forward wth a more crazy install. If I ever decide to go the crazy "full video / real sub system / etc", I can still utilize most of the pieces made and just redo the trunk floor/spare tire well w/ a 10w7 or something.

In the meantime, I really enjoy the fact that I can fit more than some golf clubs (I don't play golf) or a briefcase back there.

The sound quality is amazing, and I really can't wait to tune the EQs. If any of you have experience w/ this sort of stuff, please let me know.

Thanks!

GhostRider said:
Nice and clean. Keps alot of the stock look and space with a nice boost in the quality of the sound:thumbup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
drgalleg, very sweet install. A few questions: 1) with the 500/5, what speakers do you have connected to the 2x25W rear channels? 2) what JLs did you settle on for the front? The XR525CSis? and 3) are those crossovers bi-amped?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts