BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lost to an e39 m3 (i have a 330ci) , i dont mean i lost i got blooown away. like by 3 car lenths!! i thoght we had much betterrrrr engines!!! any1 here ever beat an e39?!

·
Registered
271 Posts
E39 is a 5 series.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You mean E36 M3...

:huh:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Do u mean e39 5 series or e3 m3?

If you mean by e36 M3, that thing is fast!!! If you mean by e39 5 series, it might have been the 540 which is also fast!!!

·
Italian driver of German
1,264 Posts
Face it dude.. my 330ci or your 330ci ain't gonna beat no M3 unless the M3 ain't got no wheels............ :tsk:

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
FYI

Car-Stats.com Report for 1998 BMW M3
Obtained from MT August, 1998
0-60: 5.5 Transmission: Unknown
1/4 Mile: 14
1/4 Speed: 99

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what mods can i do to at least keep up with these e36's!!! and i we both payed the same amount!!! i boguht a new 330ci and my firend bought a used m3! i feel so bad! ......but mine still looks better!!!......lol at least i think so

·
Oaf
951 Posts
stock vs. stock a 330 can hang with an E36 M3. I've seen it happen more than once.

Remember that on the street there are huge variances, one being 99.9% of drivers are not pro testers in controlled environments...

·
eh.
1,392 Posts
u can sc ur car to keep up with a e36 m3.. my friend has one.. i hate him he always makes fun of my car its too slow

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,257 Posts
DBX said:
i lost to an e39 m3 (i have a 330ci) , i dont mean i lost i got blooown away. like by 3 car lenths!! i thoght we had much betterrrrr engines!!! any1 here ever beat an e39?!

what else can you tell us about the cars? Are they both stock? Is one modified? Are both modded? Are they both Auto/Steps or is one Manual, etc?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah an E36 M3 can beat a 330 pretty easily, starting with the US spec numbers:
240hp and 236 lb./ft of torque at identical rpm's as the 330, it's lighter so just there it has the punch to beat the 330. The 0-60 times is around 5.9 secs or 5.8-5.7 for a good driver (all manual stats here).
Then the main thing is the US spec was/is highly de-tuned. they could get a Euro air abox with the Euro MAF sensor and the stock power goes up by another some ponies.
They could add a JC chip to improve the low-end torque and hence more noticeable 0-60 oomph!

Their sport Double spoke M3 wheels were designed pretty light (16 lbs. for the 17 * 8.5)[i weighed when i bought two of those],
The 99 models had aluminum panels for the door, trunk etc.;
thus giving a better power to weight ratio...
Hence time-time one might come across a pretty 'stock' E36 M3 which will very much blow itself away out of sight.

And for such occasions my motto is out of sight, out of mind :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes thats the car i love!!

Even if its not as good looking as our e46's that car can handle and definitely out power us except e46 m3.

But of course with all the mods you can do to a e36 m3 you might be able to challenge a e46 m3.

Some e36 m3's i have seen are running close or a little above 300hp with no turbo or SC. so yes they are quick and definitely lighter by about 300lbs.

i wish i had one, driven 2 of them and they are at another level than my 325ci.

:tsk:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Hells yeah the e36 M3 is fast!!!!

My bro has a 95 m3 lightweight & its fast as hell. Right now hes doin 312hp at the crank w/ a euro hfm, SS headers, bigger injectors, SS exhaust, and a custom chip. When he puts cams in it will be really close to my e46 M3!!!!!!

They are also lighter. (even the non lightweights, which is mainly the deciding factor in all races... the power to weight ratio)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts