E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a 03 325i that has headers and intake, Nothing crazy. I do have a ECU tune that I bought from rev match motorsport ($350) but it’s only stage one bare minimum. This summer I’m swapping my motor for the s54b30 and would like to be able to tune that ECU but don’t want to buy another tune from him. I feel like if I could learn to tune myself it would save me a ton of $$$ and i can customize to my own liking.

even with doing a considerable amount of research I can’t seem to find many sources on what software to use, or how to do it in general. I’m assuming this is so these places that overcharge can stay in business. Hopefully someone here would have the answers I seek? Even if you know a little bit about it don’t hesitate to list what you know. Because I’m sure it’s still more than what i know at this point.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
S54B30 doesn't exist, you mean M54B30? Do you want to just flash the ECU to another tune, or do you actually want to edit and write the tune yourself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S54B30 doesn't exist, you mean M54B30? Do you want to just flash the ECU to another tune, or do you actually want to edit and write the tune yourself?
Yes, m54b30 is what I meant. And to be honest I’m not sure how I want to go about it. I want to tune it to make the most power possible with catless headers and intake (like I have with my current motor) with probably a burble/popcorn tune. Later on down the road I’m considering adding some forced induction and would like to know what I’m doing as far as tuning when it comes to that. So you tell me what you think I should do because I’m honestly clueless.

Btw I’m an 18yr old kid that knows more about mechanical stuff than I do computers. I could take apart and put back together a motor, but I don’t know the fisrt thing about computers. So sorry if I really do sound like a noob in this field.

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
567 Posts
Aye been there too. Respect for even delving into this field of interest. Not a lot of guys wanna even touch tuning equipment, let alone tune their own vehicles. Have you looked at the MS4x wiki? That’s a good place to start if you haven’t already. It explains how ecu tuning works and what are the main parameters to manipulate in order to make ignition tuning changes, injection map changes, ect. It also has a few different flashing programs to download if you do not have one installed already. My personal preference is MS4x dev group flasher. Is super fast and corrects checksums and syncs ews, so the car won’t freak out if you update the dme software or firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
567 Posts
Now, I must confess, I very curious about that stage 1 tune on your car. Typically when you first start tuning, you always save a copy of your original bin on your laptop, and build off of that, but you already got a stage 1 tune. I would love a copy of that bin to know what revmatch does to make extra power and how that compares to what I do to make extra power. I won’t take the bin, because I think that is essentially stealing someone else’s work and that unethical, but since you already have a tune, as long as you stay NA, you proably won’t be getting much more power out of the car from tuning alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye been there too. Respect for even delving into this field of interest. Not a lot of guys wanna even touch tuning equipment, let alone tune their own vehicles. Have you looked at the MS4x wiki? That’s a good place to start if you haven’t already. It explains how ecu tuning works and what are the main parameters to manipulate in order to make ignition tuning changes, injection map changes, ect. It also has a few different flashing programs to download if you do not have one installed already. My personal preference is MS4x dev group flasher. Is super fast and corrects checksums and syncs ews, so the car won’t freak out if you update the dme software or firmware.

I appreciate the guidance and motivation. I’ve been scrimmaging around YouTube videos and websites that all haven’t been updated in 10+ years and all have outdated info. Hopefully what you’ve given me is more updated stuff, I’ll certainly be looking into Ms4x wiki, your the fisrtplace I’ve heard about it from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, I must confess, I very curious about that stage 1 tune on your car. Typically when you first start tuning, you always save a copy of your original bin on your laptop, and build off of that, but you already got a stage 1 tune. I would love a copy of that bin to know what revmatch does to make extra power and how that compares to what I do to make extra power. I won’t take the bin, because I think that is essentially stealing someone else’s work and that unethical, but since you already have a tune, as long as you stay NA, you proably won’t be getting much more power out of the car from tuning alone.

I’ve been doing tons of reading and found very helpful stuff on the wiki, thanks btw.

But I actually have a spare ECU that’s stock I was going to try to tune fisrt, but if all goes well with that and I don’t screw anything up I’ll definitely tap into revmatch’s ECU and I don’t mind sharing what I find, I’m also curious lol.

but funny enough Im very close to getting a sponsorship with VF engineering and they might be hooking me up with a supercharger for when I do my motor swap. Obviously there guys will duyno tune my car so I technically won’t be needing any of the stuff I just learned. But I can still play around with what I have now. It never hurts to learn some stuff haha.

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
567 Posts
How did you get a sponsorship? I want free car parts! Even after they tune the car themselves, you will probably still want to do some things yourself later. Maybe not necessarily with power but there’s many other things to tune

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.