BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tragically, my E46 was taken away from me far too soon. Back in January, I had the misfortune of warping it around a telephone pole at less than 25mph. No damage to the pole at all or any other private property only to my poor baby.
Well I purchased an 09 GLI because I've owned VW's my whole life and at the time it was the safest and cheapest bet...quite fast after a couple hundred in modifications I must say.
But alas, I've found myself Back in the market for an E46, my friend recently purchased an E90 330i passing up on a ZHP; I'm going to talk to the guy this weekend hopefully. Can't wait to get back in the glorious high bolster, leg reclining sports cockpit of the E46 :rofl:

before:

The aftermath:

Current GLI, as it sits now, it is Unitronics Stage two, rated at 250hp and 300ft/lbs. I kid not when I say this thing moves! I'm side by side with my friends 335i six speed, and that's with my factory diverter valve not holding the 20psi the turbo produces:shhh:
Just feels like such a child's toy

seats are nice tho

Just wanted to share my excitement about possibly getting back in an E46!::woot::

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Nice GLI, glad to hear you might get back into an e46 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is a funny coincidence. I got out of my 92 535 for an 06 GLI and regretted every second of it. And then I stumbled on the ZHP sedan I am in currently. The GLI was a good/fun car, but it just didn't do for me what my BMW's did in the past

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a funny coincidence. I got out of my 92 535 for an 06 GLI and regretted every second of it. And then I stumbled on the ZHP sedan I am in currently. The GLI was a good/fun car, but it just didn't do for me what my BMW's did in the past
This is what I'm finding. while this car has tons of potential it just seems to lack the connection to the road. Really excited to get behind the wheel and feel her out. Imola Red 4door ZHP, couldn't ask for more :craig:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My e46 is looking old and dated. I shouldnt have bothered replacing all the suspension and other parts and just traded it in for a new 3 series. The car is like new. Less than 60K and lots of new OE parts but it just plain looks like an old car on the road.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Because cheap FWD. Great grocery getters though

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My e46 is looking old and dated. I shouldnt have bothered replacing all the suspension and other parts and just traded it in for a new 3 series. The car is like new. Less than 60K and lots of new OE parts but it just plain looks like an old car on the road.
c'mon man. Take better care of your car.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
c'mon man. Take better care of your car.

I take very good care of my car and probably spent like $ 10K in the last 15 months alone, on parts which had plenty more life in them. The car is in excellent mechanical shape (only OE parts) and the exterior is fine too. The leather is in prestine condition as well. Its just the design is old and driving it it feels old too. I never even had a CEL ever. Personally, Id rather have something newer looking. This car is 9 yrs aold already. Its just that it has low miles for its yr.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I take very good care of my car and probably spent like $ 10K in the last 15 months alone, on parts which had plenty more life in them. The car is in excellent mechanical shape (only OE parts) and the exterior is fine too. The leather is in prestine condition as well. Its just the design is old and driving it it feels old too. I never even had a CEL ever. Personally, Id rather have something newer looking. This car is 9 yrs aold already. Its just that it has low miles for its yr.
I feel the same way you do, can't afford new car oh wel.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I feel the same way you do, can't afford new car oh wel.
A new car is lot easier to afford than you think. Do some reseach on down payments, trade-ins, loans, leases, etc.

Even soemthing coming off a short lease can be a much better value than a used e46.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A new car is lot easier to afford than you think. Do some reseach on down payments, trade-ins, loans, leases, etc.

Even soemthing coming off a short lease can be a much better value than a used e46.
If by value you mean not paying a single cent in maintenance it is; but over the lenght of the loan it's not. If you're spending 10k on maintenance and have a mechanic on your payroll then it makes sense to buy a new car

I can't think of what you have spent those 10k on...

i've spend less then 1,500 in the last 15 months lol. and thats including a couple of mods here and there...

Did you get a new engine or transmission at some point?

in regards with it feeling old when driving it that's what you get for buying a non-sports package automatic e46

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

Post a few pictures of your car, I wanna see what we're dealing with. There are a lot of things in the E90 that are worse than the E46, some are better. The car plows in stock form like a pig, and it's oversprung. The sedan rear doors sound like they're made from tin, the dash is not as good by design in comparison, and the door panel design is worse, not to mention many interior things are flimsier. They made the sun visors vinyl for cost cutting, even started deleting ash tray covers and what not! If you get a 10-11 beware of the base stereo, no amp! :shhh:

Other things? Hmm, dipstick, welded shut diff without a drain plug, and confusing computer menus. I hope the F30 is better. That said I would consider a 335d, but that's all from that generation.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Post a few pictures of your car, I wanna see what we're dealing with. There are a lot of things in the E90 that are worse than the E46, some are better. The car plows in stock form like a pig, and it's oversprung. The sedan rear doors sound like they're made from tin, the dash is not as good by design in comparison, and the door panel design is worse, not to mention many interior things are flimsier. They made the sun visors vinyl for cost cutting, even started deleting ash tray covers and what not! If you get a 10-11 beware of the base stereo, no amp! :shhh:

Other things? Hmm, dipstick, welded shut diff without a drain plug, and confusing computer menus. I hope the F30 is better. That said I would consider a 335d, but that's all from that generation.
+1, Drove a 6spd base model 10' or 11' 328i and it was a massive dissapointment. but then again a e90 330i is more in line with my e46 330ci. Just haven't seen on for sale.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Why are you opposed to the E46? :loco: If it's so easy to afford a new car why are you still driving a 03 330i bro :facepalm:

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My 2000 E46 turns 12 years old this month. Built in 11/99 280,000 5spd MT. Runs great because I maintain it. I enjoy maintaining it, and many generations of 3 series will come and go, but I can't see driving any other 3 series
I live in Los Angeles where you see new high-end newer model cars everywhere, I have to say I love both of my E46's

Other cars I love: Audi RS4, E39 M5, Nissan GTR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts