BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Incorrect white balance is nothing Photoshop can't fix, so...it really shouldn't be a problem unless it's really off.

What photos were taken out of the sunroof? I don't see where a low ISO would've affected anything :dunno:

Photo#1, you totally cropped off the car...

Photo#2, what are we supposed to be looking at? again cropping off the top of the sign thing

Photo#3, digging it, woulda cloned out that lens flare on the rear bumper

Photo#4, dig this one too, looks a little blue though

Photo#6, looking a little yellow

Love you Tommy,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, he actually left you REAL crit.

Anyway. I agree with him.

Number one is just not working. The car didn't end up all there. The legs gone thing works with people but not with cars so much I guess. Like cutting the head off.

Number two is throwing me off on focal point. There is no real one. I just don't care too much for it. Maybe it is the angle and placement, and as he said, the top got cut-off. Don't much like that.

Number three I like. I think more of a half-car crop would have worked better but that's okay. The picture could also use some PP White Balance and tone.

Number four I love the concept, saw what you were going for.

Number five, same as four.

Number six I like a lot as well. The angle could probably use a little work but that's not far off. The white balance and tones could use a bit of help as well.

Overall, I like them a lot. You have managed to take some pretty crisp looking pictures as well. Focused in pretty nice.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I dont ever mind criticism and any of my Jersey boys can give me any bit of flack and I wouldnt mind.

I dont edit...at all, cant find the time and never get serious enough to better my mediocre shots
I didnt post the ones where you would see major problems

Truthfully, I think if I understood what my settings REALLY mean I could get much better shots and still need no editting.

Here are some of the others you would have liked to see, maybe you'll agree with the ones I chose.

I know different angle and all just boring overall

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait.. what lens was this?

·
Registered
229 Posts
1st one is my fav, not from a photography standpoint, i just love the way it makes your car look.
agreed. also in agreement with the critiques. heres a little glossary of terms i used to help me understand what the specs were talking about when i was looking for a new camera. it helps not only to understand what the manufacturers are providing you with, but also breaks it down in fairly understandable terms of what each term/function means/does. just click on any of the tabs and itll drop down to give you the terms.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/

also, AKW, thats a pretty sweet sig you got there!

·
Registered
40 Posts
agreed. also in agreement with the critiques. heres a little glossary of terms i used to help me understand what the specs were talking about when i was looking for a new camera. it helps not only to understand what the manufacturers are providing you with, but also breaks it down in fairly understandable terms of what each term/function means/does. just click on any of the tabs and itll drop down to give you the terms.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/

also, AKW, thats a pretty sweet sig you got there!
Yeah, thanks a lot. Here soon I am going to find a nice day and do it the right way. I am going to calculate distances and go around the car taking pictures. Then I am going to splice them together in PS and make a full walk around and slower. =)

I am glad you like it. You can do it as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your picture out the sunroof of the trees blasting by is great. By far the best shot in the set. I also like number 3, the dash board shot. Nicely done. The other shots have various problems though, most of which have been pointed out. The primary problem is your choice of location. Parking lots with yellow lines and house and basketball hoops in the background will never cut the mustard (what does that saying even mean?). Trees "growing" out of the roof of your car. Cropping off the bottom of tires, the tips of fenders. Even the placement of the car in the frame itself. Your first image in post #4 for example would be much better if the empty space was in front of the car, rather than behind the car. In other words, make it look as if the car has room to move into the image, rather than moving out of the image.

Lastly is the choice of lens. You are using a pretty wide angle lens and that is not often flattering for a car. I only use wide angle when I absolutely have to. Your car shots will be more flattering with a longer focal length, say 50-100mm. Even longer. The downside is you need to get further back from the car in order to take the shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts