BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in the snow last night on the highway. The plows had not cleared the roads so there was a fair amount of accumulation about 2-3 inches maybe? I was not going too fast, maybe 50-60mph average.

When I got off the exit ramp after driving about 15 minutes I went and stopped by a store to get some stuff. When I came out, my car wouldn't start immediately. I thought maybe I didn't turn the key all the way. It did this one more time before the engine turned over. All was good so I proceeded to get on the road. The light turned green so I gassed it a bit to get the car going, the DSC had kicked in and when this happened my car just died while iin motion. Luckily there were no other cars around and I just stopped the car and restarted the engine. The car turned on no problem but the Xenons went out. I tried to turn them on and off and they wouldn't come on.

Then I tried making a left turn at an intersection and about half way thru the turn the car died again. When I started it up this time the Xenons came back on. As I turned into my building,my car started slipping and when this happened my DSC gave out this nasty sounding grinding noise. Now I know DSC makes a grinding/ crunching noise, but this was not that. This was loud grinding. After a few seconds of this grinding the car died again.

I am at a loss as to why this happened. My 00 e46 328i never had this problem and I think I have had more "snow time" in that car. Anyone else have/ had this problem? I have scheduled a service appt but I am just worried that they cannot duplicate it thus can't address the problem.

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,115 Posts
I have never heard of this problem with an e46. Sounds like it could be electrical, maybe water got in somewhere that it shouldn't have.

Not exactly a direct comparison, but I also have a honda civic. The front hood is kind of "bowed" (bent) upward about 3/4 of an inch from someone backing into it (about 4 years ago). Ever since then, whenever it rains, the car will not turn over. If it stops raining for one hour, the car will then start right up. Because of the bent hood, water is getting in somewhere (I can't tell where). Over Christmas, it will be driven to my fiances dad's house (in WV), where he will get it fixed.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know, I thought about that. Maybe the snow that was building up in front might have gotten in somewhere but like I said, my other e46 never had any problems in the snow.

·
XX
376 Posts
I've had that kind of grinding noise from the dsc on occasion when taking off in alot of snow. I thought it was normal. The noise came from one side and I thought it was just the rear trying to find some traction. I though it was normal :dunno:

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jupiter19 said:
I've had that kind of grinding noise from the dsc on occasion when taking off in alot of snow. I thought it was normal. The noise came from one side and I thought it was just the rear trying to find some traction. I though it was normal :dunno:
Oh, I forgot to mention, the griding noise this time came from the front and no I do not have an XI

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
i say bring it into the dealer

and tell them what happen they are the experts on their cars. hehehe. i think they can find what is wrong with your car. give them a try can't hurt to try it.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts